Bass Tracker TX17 Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you are probably right. I imagine with it all welded it will be quite stronger by default. The boat looks great and I think you will be real happy with it when your done. That 70hp should push that thing great. Doea it have tilt/trim? I dont have but a 50hp on mine and with me and my dog loaded for fishing it will go 37mph on GPS. Great job knot, I will be keeping up with your build. Think Im gonna do another one soon, except I want a tunnel hull this time.

Well haven't done much to the boat. Busy trying to troubleshoot the "no spark" issue. I did put together a driver seat. I installed hinges to allow access to livewell.

2011-01-01143005.jpg

2011-01-01142952.jpg

I am enjoying reading all the mods going on. It's like every other day there is a new one. Giving me ideas for the next project. Not a good thing.

knotslippin, I have a bare bass tracker and had the idea about building a center console for it. I found your thread when I searched Tin Boats. I am impressed. Did you use the factory steering cable? How did you route it? My controls are the originals from 1980 and are not very flexible.

@cubman

I have not installed the cables yet. But no, the factory ones won't reach. These boats come with a side console, so I need a couple more feet. I just got the top mount controls yesterday. I will be installing this weekend. I will post pics of how I run the cables.

And the credit for the console goes to Rook. I just improvised a bit. But thanks

Can't wait to see how you run the cables. I have a 87 Bass Tracker and I've been kicking around the idea of a center console for a long time, Your project looks amazing

Been very busy with work, so I haven't done much. I have a few updated pics.

Should be in the water in a couple weeks.

First off hre is the motor I finally went with. 3rd motor I should add. It is a 1991 Yamaha 90.
IMG_20110409_191848.jpg

Got the controls and steering in
IMG_20110409_191609.jpg

I also had some rod holders made. Sticking to the industrial look.
IMG_20110423_181603.jpg

IMG_20110423_181557.jpg

Used some SS Jeep Hood latches for the front seat of console.

IMG_20110409_191900.jpg

Hope you are all enjoying your builds. I can surely say I have.

Great build. What is going on with it????

I may have an opportunity to get a gutted Tracker TX17 with a 70hp Evinrude (that needs carbs) on a decent trailer for a low low price. I want to turn it into a Center console. But I am concerned about floor width. I cant seem to find any real factory specs on this boat anywhere. I heard the beam was 69" from more than one internet post. Which would put the floor width at around 52''???? I think???. But I have also heard its a 48" wide floor.

There are not alot of factory made Center consoles with a 48" floor for a reason. Its just a little too tight. But there are with 52"-56" floors. Do you have enough room to walk around or is it a little tight.

If you had to do it over would you still have gone with the Center console?

Appreciate the help.

Well first test run of boat. Think it ran fine. Let me know what you guys think. Sorry but I forgot to check my gps, I was too stoked.

Now time for the paint and finishing her off. Appreciate any criticism

Click on pic for video

Well it's been a while, but I finally fished the boat. All that is left is the paint. But that can wait. I was able to get 46mph on the gps. Not quite what I was hoping for. It does ride very smooth even through some chop. Ran the bay and went out of Haulover cut. Ran a couple of miles into the ocean, just to say we did on the maiden voyage.

Here is the boat at the ramp
IMAG0084.jpg

Here is a nice mod for anyone that is disconnecting their oil injector. I thought it was a good idea. You can never have enough places to put your beer.
IMAG0087.jpg

And here was the catch for the day. Not bad for a few hours.
2 23" Trout
2 18" Trout
2 16" Trout
1 Permit and 2 Mangrove Snappers
IMAG0089.jpg

Hope you all enjoy the update. I will be out there again in a couple of weeks.

Man you got a good place to fish, I wish I could go out and catch specks anytime!! I see in your picture you went back and drilled holes where the tubes (PVC) went and put end covers on......

Yeah I wanted to put them on both sides but I lost one of the covers. Would you happen to know where I could get the covers?