Bearing repack

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincansailor

Reaction score
The video in the sticky does not work. I have a boat trailer with the 8" wheels and have attempted to remove the caps on the ends of the axles to gain access to remove bearings and repack them. Think I may need to do this since I have had the boat and trailer for 6 yrs. I cannot remove the grease caps and was wondering if they are of a standard size so that if I puncture them while removing if I would be able to get some replacements at an auto parts store. I have tried hammers, channel locks, even pipe wrenches to no avail but if I just go ahead and damage them in order to remove them would I be able to get replacements for them. Thanks

Try a wide screwdriver between the seam of the cap and the hub surface. Thats how I do it, it is just a press fit. New caps should be cheap and easy to get, sounds like yours may be rusted in place which would be a real bad sign. Also try some liquid wrench or the like on it and let is soak for a while.
Tim

Good Luck [-o<

I usually use a small/thin bladed screwdriver to get the dust cap started moving in the right direction, or bend the lip a bit to get the next size up screwdriver in the gap. WD 40 might help, and tapping the dust cap with a SMALL brad hammer on the outer edge to get it moving. If you end up beating it off, they are easy to find and replace.

Most times can be removed with just a hammer. Strike the cap on one side, spin the wheel & hit it again, you will see it start to work out as you continue to strick & turn the wheel.

Spray the mating surfaces with a good penatrating oil (i.e. PB Blaster,WD40,etc.). I use a wood chisel,that I use to scrape gasket surfaces, to knock the dust cover off. The thin edge gets into that tight area better than a screwdriver,in my experience.

Latest posts