Bee's nest help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poorthang said:
i was that teenager once. except i didnt poke the nest, i shot it. about 200 yds out so it would be safe! nope, a small black dot left the nest and got bigger and bigger as it came straight toward me. i realized the small dot was a ball of hornets moving at a high speed and straight toward their target. i jumped in the truck, slammed the door, and they swarmed for a little while and returned to the tree. lol

Been there. Done that. When I was a youngin, I was having a fun time throwing a stick into a paper wasp nest and then running away. After a few times the wasp got smart and flew down into my escape route and waited for me to run into them after throwing the stick. One of them stung me in my eyelid. It quit being fun after that.

Jim said:
poorthang said:
i was that teenager once. except i didnt poke the nest, i shot it. about 200 yds out so it would be safe! nope, a small black dot left the nest and got bigger and bigger as it came straight toward me. i realized the small dot was a ball of hornets moving at a high speed and straight toward their target. i jumped in the truck, slammed the door, and they swarmed for a little while and returned to the tree. lol
:LOL2:

I can literally picture this, it's movie material. :lol:

dumb ol redneck kid in louisiana. that was an adventure every day.

Those aren't bees! You need a pro to remove that nest, it contains hornets. If you mess with it they will attack, make no mistake. I've collected and sold those nests. The pro will come in, suit up, and with liquid nitrogen more than likely freeze the nest and remove them. It's not a job for the layman. They can put you in the hospital!

poorthang said:
Jim said:
poorthang said:
:LOL2:

I can literally picture this, it's movie material. :lol:

dumb ol redneck kid in louisiana. that was an adventure every day.

Put a kid in a pasture with an electric fence -- you know what will happen. :LOL2:

eeshaw said:
Those aren't bees! You need a pro to remove that nest, it contains hornets. If you mess with it they will attack, make no mistake. I've collected and sold those nests. The pro will come in, suit up, and with liquid nitrogen more than likely freeze the nest and remove them. It's not a job for the layman. They can put you in the hospital!

I have never encountered a nest like that, but now I know what to do. I gained some important knowledge from this thread.

I've decided that when I get back from my fishing trip I will call a professional to come handle this mess.

The thoughts of me wearing a contractor trash bag, oven gloves, mosquito head net, and lots of duck tape to seal off any entries to my skin are not the way to go.

While it would be a fantastic YouTube video that would probably go viral, it's not the path I need right now. :LOL2:

Here goes another $300-$500 I don't have. :lol:

LDUBS said:
I have never encountered a nest like that, but now I know what to do. I gained some important knowledge from this thread.

Usually, one might see them hanging in a tree oout in the woods, if you actually looked up enough to spot it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bald+faced+hornets+nest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjyuqTb-Z_2AhWfHTQIHaoQD0sQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1440&bih=757&dpr=1#imgrc=-23Jbxdv2vb-mM

National Guard summer camp one year, woods of Camp Ripley, Minnesota. Us commo guys got our tents and gear all set up, did our ten days out in the sticks, and while we were tearing down and packing, somebody noticed a hornet's nest in the tree right over our area.
Hadn't had any issues the entire ten days....no stray hornets in our tents, or bothering us by buzzing around.
So they can be docile, if they're not annoyed by the activity, but otherwise, don't threaten them.

Roger

Just a little more info for this thread. These rascals can build and do build in bushes on the ground also so just bare that in mind when you're out hunting or hiking. I've gotten a few that were no higher than a couple feet off the ground.

GTS225 said:
LDUBS said:

Usually, one might see them hanging in a tree oout in the woods, if you actually looked up enough to spot it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bald+faced+hornets+nest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjyuqTb-Z_2AhWfHTQIHaoQD0sQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1440&bih=757&dpr=1#imgrc=-23Jbxdv2vb-mM

National Guard summer camp one year, woods of Camp Ripley, Minnesota. Us commo guys got our tents and gear all set up, did our ten days out in the sticks, and while we were tearing down and packing, somebody noticed a hornet's nest in the tree right over our area.
Hadn't had any issues the entire ten days....no stray hornets in our tents, or bothering us by buzzing around.
So they can be docile, if they're not annoyed by the activity, but otherwise, don't threaten them.

Roger

summer time in the south would have been a different story! same with red wasps, copperheads, cottonmouth, gator, red headed women, spiders,and chihuahuas.

poorthang said:
summer time in the south would have been a different story! same with red wasps, copperheads, cottonmouth, gator, red headed women, spiders,and chihuahuas.

I suspect ambient temp has a bit to do with it. Seems, up here in Iowa, they are a fair bit more active in July and August. Down south, the temps are a fair bit warmer than up here in yankee country.

poorthang said:
red headed women

:LOL2: And to think I married one about 6 months ago.

Roger

GTS225 said:
poorthang said:

I suspect ambient temp has a bit to do with it. Seems, up here in Iowa, they are a fair bit more active in July and August. Down south, the temps are a fair bit warmer than up here in yankee country.

poorthang said:
red headed women

:LOL2: And to think I married one about 6 months ago.

Roger
i married a redheaded german woman in 2004? best advice i can give is "wear a helmet" ! lol. i wish you and yours a long wonderful life.

Hey Jim?

I want to hear how this infestation issue gets resolved.

Not something you want to postpone, I'd guess.

Best wishes.

Kismet said:
Not something you want to postpone, I'd guess.

Agreed! We've had two days of high 50's/low 60's weather here in Iowa. Won't be long, they'll be coming out of hibernation and getting active again. Time to get that exterminator in there, even if it does hurt the budget a bit.

Roger

As stated hornets die in the winter and start over in spring, the nest is probably empty. A friend of mine collected them a few years back, once the cold freezing weather came. It looks as if there is no entrance hole so look outside for a hole they are using. If you find the entrance just spray some wasp and hornet spray in, if nothing emerges the nest is empty. Post Script it could also be yellow jackets just as nasty as hornets but also the hive would be dead come winter.

CRS; Your response is reasonable, but as I stated, and from my research, I know paper wasps die over winter, with the exception of the queen. I can't speak for hornets, although it seems reasonable that they too, die over winter. (I didn't research hornets, specifically.)
The problem with this situation is that this nest is built in the ceiling, inside his house. That means it's a heated zone, which might allow them to survive, just not be active. That's why we're advising an abundance of caution and leave this one up to the pros.

Roger

Latest posts