Bench seat to battery box?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawghunters

Reaction score
I would like to make more room in my Jon boat by converting one of the 3 bench seats my 14' Jon boat has to a battery box. I am wondering if anyone has any experience doing so? I bought this boat last winter and have loved each conversion I've made. I have a couple more ideas for this winter, and this one is one I'd like some more opinions on. My area of concern is will it affect my boats sturdiness? As far as Jon's go, having 3 bench seats makes it very sturdy. I would be using the middle bench seat. I also understand the floatation aspect of this, but plan to add foam under the small low deck I have in the front. Any opinions welcome, I have a thick skin so don't be afraid to tell me how you feel. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,534
I don't see why it would be a bad idea. That little boat looks to have a good bit of support and its not like you are completely removing it. I think you would be fine to cut a hatch in it for a battery.

The mod is pretty straightforward and many examples have been posted.
I used the under- seat area for battery and general storage, but was careful to replace the foam I removed. Hull integrity should not be affected so long as you only remove foam. If you have to do more serious cutting the folks on here can help with any fixes that might be necessary. Be sure to post some pics of the project.

I think it would be ok but also believe the flotation foam is real important. Suggest you add some behind the rear seat on each side right up to the level of the seat.
Tim

Not a Jon boat but this might give you some ideas.

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo3.jpg

The block of foam that was removed was cut up and used under the floor boards.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll begin with this project as soon as the nasty weather leaves. I think this will help make it easier for me to use my outboard then walk to the bow without tripping over my battery. I already have enough tackle cluttered in the boat, let alone the battery.

I had a live well in that seat that I converted into a battery box. Added a plywood lid to raise the seat and keep the rain out of that box (I recycled the original lid on the back bench). Just checkout my thread below for pics.

I used to own a 14 foot duracraft that I modified the center seat for storage by removing all the foam from that seat, closing off the ends and the bottom with aluminum sheet, and making a lid. However, I did have foam board installed under an inner deck, to make up for the foam I removed. If you remove foam from any area of your boat, you should consider incorporating some into any future deck layout and design, for the safety factor.

Latest posts