Best Way to Tint my Plastic Console Windscreen?!?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquiggyFreud

Reaction score
I just ordered a windshield for my Alumacraft side console. It is no longer available tinted, only clear. I do want to put some tint on it but have been reading about it and the results have been mixed.
Standard tint film cannot be used because it will bubble on the plastic and the adhesives may etch the plastic as well. I have also read people used the Rit fabric dye and dipped the windshield in it. (mixed results). The motorcycle guys just spray theirs with flat black. (they don't look through them)

I have been looking at the spray tint used to black out tail lights on cars. Rustoleum has one, and another called Night Shade which is popular.

Have any of you tin boaters had any luck tinting a plastic windshield?? Pics would be awesome.

I have tried the rit dye on RC aircraft windshields, and it failed miserably. The plastic has to be of a certain variety for it to work (kenna remember what flavor).
So, basically I'm saying I don't think the rit dye is the way to go.

Why do you want to tint it? I have a tinted windshield that wraps around the console on my G3 SC and the tint seems about useless to me. When I sit up straight 95% of the time my head/eyes are above the windscreen that has a curve near the top I assume to blow debris up and over the drivers head/eyes. I always wear sunglasses (polarized) to protect my eyes from sun/glare and debris,bugs,dirt blown off the bow deck etc. when scooting along on the sunny days. The only time I hunch down and actually look through (hide behind) the windshield is in fall/winter to let it block the cold and windchill @ 40mph from freezing my face/eyes. I'm usually hunting from the boat then and it's often cold and twilight or dark, before dawn/after dusk when I can't see jack through the tinted windshield and wish it was clear so I wear clear or High Vis safety glasses and peak over or around the screen often as I come and go.

hahahhahhaaa I remember when I was in High School ....

I wanted to tint the windshield in my 1959 Ford.... and be so COOL
I ordered the spray tint from JC Whitney and sprayed it according to the directions....

WHAT - A - FUBAR - MESS !!!!!

and NO, I did not clean the glass first to surgical grade.
and NO, I did not tape off what I did not want to tint (dash and doors)
and NO, I did not wipe up any overspray right away.

LOL LOL LOL things that go through a teenagers head just to be cool LOL.

IF you decide to spray the tint, PRACTICE on a similar object, in similar conditions as
you will do your finished piece..... vertical, horizontal, in the sun, in the shade, in the garage, etc.
practice practice and PRACTICE some more. DO NOT TOUCH IT after you clean it.
I would suggest DAWN dish soap and soft cloth (t-shirt) to wash it with.
The results may NOT be reversible on plastic.
OH - almost forgot..... acrylic (plexiglass) has STATIC properties - meaning that once cleaned,
it will be statically charged and will ATTRACT DUST like a magnet.
To counter this property, spray the BACK SIDE of the object with COLD WATER from a bottle sprayer.
Then, you will wind up painting it flat black like us Harley Dudes do sometimes.
But, I keep my bike shield clear. only the BUGS makes it tinted. LOL LOL

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361919#p361919 said:
juggernot » 01 Aug 2014, 18:41[/url]"]Why do you want to tint it?

1. Primarily to cut down on glare on my electronics mounted on top of console.
2. Aesthetics. I like the way it looks.

Hey Squiggy - - - stop by your local SIGN SHOP.
There are so many new vinyls out now for the sign makers it is unreal.

Look for the "7 year" High Performance vinyls in Frost, Smoke, Mirror Gold, Mirror Silver, etc etc etc
The vinyl is applied to the outside of your windshield.
Done correctly, there will be no bubbles, it is scratch resistant and will not "ghost" your plastic.
Worth looking in to if you really want to darken your shield.
3-M Window Tint film is installed on the inside of your shield.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362487#p362487 said:
Barefoot_Johnny » Today, 08:48[/url]"]Hey Squiggy - - - stop by your local SIGN SHOP.
There are so many new vinyls out now for the sign makers it is unreal.

Look for the "7 year" High Performance vinyls in Frost, Smoke, Mirror Gold, Mirror Silver, etc etc etc
The vinyl is applied to the outside of your windshield.
Done correctly, there will be no bubbles, it is scratch resistant and will not "ghost" your plastic.
Worth looking in to if you really want to darken your shield.
3-M Window Tint film is installed on the inside of your shield.

Is it glued? Won't stick to plastic I have read, but I think there is a film that sticks to plastic by static electricity.

I am a retired professional sign maker.
I have been using vinyl sign products since 1983.
yes, there IS a "temporary" vinyl film that adheres by static.
To be used on store windows on the INSIDE of the store.

The High Performance vinyl that I suggested WILL stick to
Glass, Plexiglass, Lexan, Painted Metal, Fiberglass and any smooth non porous surface.
It is the same product that your boat names and numbers are made from.
If someone says it will not stick to plastic, they are yanking your willy. (and go look somewhere else)

This is only my suggestion - because you asked for advice and information.
take it or leave it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362518#p362518 said:
Barefoot_Johnny » Yesterday, 14:34[/url]"]I am a retired professional sign maker.
I have been using vinyl sign products since 1983.
yes, there IS a "temporary" vinyl film that adheres by static.
To be used on store windows on the INSIDE of the store.

The High Performance vinyl that I suggested WILL stick to
Glass, Plexiglass, Lexan, Painted Metal, Fiberglass and any smooth non porous surface.
It is the same product that your boat names and numbers are made from.
If someone says it will not stick to plastic, they are yanking your willy. (and go look somewhere else)

This is only my suggestion - because you asked for advice and information.
take it or leave it.

Ill send you the dimensions would you pre-cut it for me :D

check your local sign shop for graphics .... or, on line.

i am R - E - T - I - R - E - D

This is my LAST work of art that I did prior to pulling the plug.

the double sided oval sign face is Handcrafted High Density Urethane (HDU) 10' long, 6' tall
hand carved graphics, palm trees with 23k gold leaf .
The oval sign itself sits into a prefab foam structure with a stucco finish.
Located in St. Marys, Georgia.
You don't "precut" the vinyl. You apply it, let it dry for an hour, then trim the edges with a razor blade.

i am R E T I R E D now,,,,,,, domestic chores interfere with my boating and fishing something fierce.

Attachments

• Cumberland Palms (3).JPG
    Cumberland Palms (3).JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 685
Thanks for the info, I have never been any good with tint if the process is the same, I will see if they will do it for me. Or buy it take it to a tint shop and let them apply it.

Squiggy - I looked at my Sign Materials Supply website and
this is what I found that will work for your windshield. (if you want to go this route)

It is a vinyl product, made specifically for glass and plastic surfaces.
It is applied to the outside of your shield.
This product is tinted in many colors and your local sign shop can get it for you.
or....... search on line to see who sells it by the square foot.
my 8 year old grandson can install it - so surely you can also.

Attachments

• tint.jpg
    tint.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 648