Big foot switch with 6ga?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter

Reaction score
I don't know if this would be necessary but I was wondering if anyone knew of a Bigfoot style push button for bigger cable? I'm considering adding one for my rear trolling motor but mounted on the front deck. Would come in handy on electric only lakes in conjunction with my bow mount.

I have never seen one with that heavy of wire. I had one on one of my old boats, with the battery in back and a reversed transom mount motor up front. Worked real well and never had a problem. Ran 6 guage wire from battery to switch. I was young and dumb and never had a fuse or breaker, thank God it didnt burn up or short. It was a minnkota 55 lbs thrust. If you protect it with the proper fuse or breaker you should be fine.

Probably cheaper to use a relay between the battery and the motor with any generic switch at the front. This way you can run a cheap 18-22ga wire to the front of the boat instead of running two conductors of 6ga the whole way. Plus you'll have less resistance and more power going to the motor instead of heating the wires.

Just make sure to get a relay rated for continuous use at the max draw of your TM.

Good luck!

kofkorn said:
Probably cheaper to use a relay between the battery and the motor with any generic switch at the front. This way you can run a cheap 18-22ga wire to the front of the boat instead of running two conductors of 6ga the whole way. Plus you'll have less resistance and more power going to the motor instead of heating the wires.

Just make sure to get a relay rated for continuous use at the max draw of your TM.

Good luck!

I like that suggestion! Thanks!

Latest posts