Black Lake NY - Report and Video

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSimon

Reaction score
[youtube]cBXp_J1im18[/youtube]

In short, the weather was terrible which made for really tough fishing. We still had fun and did catch enough to make a few nice meals.

This lake has treated us well in the past, but this was definitely our worst year every.

Oh well, you can't win them all.

Nice! still looks like you guys had fun. Ever get any big pike from black lake?

Not to get off topic, but I see you're from downingtown. Ever do any muskie fishing on Marsh Creek and if so, how is it?

Lenny - I fish Marsh Creek a lot. Its a great lake to tool around on with the kids - very pretty. There are definitely some big bass and muskie in the lake, but it gets constant fishing pressure so its kind of hard to catch them. Guys who put in the effort to learn the lake can consistently catch muskie ... and big ones.

Heck, my daughter hooked into one the other evening while trolling with a floating rapala. It broke the line but made a big splash which made her day! I've never even hooked one so she is one up on the old man.

As far as the pike fishing on Black Lake, well .... honestly, no. We don't get any big pike. The biggest we've ever caught was 30". I'm sure there are some big ones, but its a shallow lake so the average size is going to be lower than other places. Also, there are absolutely no conservation efforts in place to protect pike so the fishing isn't going to get better ... only worse. As far as numbers though, if the weather is good you can catch a ton!

Jim - We stayed in Cabin 5. The water level was a little low, but not bad .... pretty normal I'd say. I did hit a rock pretty hard and broke off my skeg and broke a cavitation plate .... there goes $800. At least everything still ran fine for the rest of the trip. Could have been a lot worse.

We've had a great run at Black Lake over the past nine years, but I think we'll give it a rest and try some new water. There is a lot more fishing pressure than there used to be, and new cabins keep popping up all over the lake. It doesn't have the same remote feel as it used to.

We might try the St. Lawrence. I hear it has excellent pike fishing.