Blacklight Mounting Problem...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
So i've got a set(2) of those "BlackEye" blacklights that have the suction cups on the bottom to sit on the gunwhales. The thing is, the top of my gunwhales aren't smooth, or hardly wide enough for those suction cups to "suck" to them. So i'm just wondering if any of you guys might have any ideas on how I could make some kind of mount so I can mount these?

The gunwales on the HP boats all have ribs on them and suction cups want work. When I bought my first G3 I had the Stan Sloan plugs installed on the boat so I wouldn't have to worry about wires and all that other fun stuff. The suction cups didn't work for me either, so I measured the thickness of the gunwale and had a friend of mine who worked at Alcoa Aluminum make me a couple of C-Shaped brackets a little larger than my measurement. I then bought some liquid rubber coating at Home Depot and applied two thick coats to each bracket so they would not scratch the boat. Once all of this was done, I took my Sloan black-lights apart and replaced the suction cup on each with a bracket I had created. Now all I have to do is slide the lights in the plugs and turn them until the bracket catch on the gunwale and the rubber holds them in place.

I'm in Bible School at my church all week but I'll try to take some pictures of my set-up one night and post them for you.

Here is a rough sketch I did of the way my gunwale is. The top of it is ribbed for one, so even smaller suction cups won't work for me. And the top of it is roughly 3" wide. And from the bottom of the "lip" to the floor i've got roughly 1-1/2inches of room to work with for a "clamp" of some kind is what I kinda had in mind. I'd rather have something removable.

gunwaledr6.png

Alright Bubba... here are the pics. Let me know what questions you have.

The Bracket:
DSCN1105.jpg

Front View:
DSCN1103.jpg

Side View:
DSCN1104.jpg

Rear View Installed:
DSCN1108.jpg

Latest posts