boat builders?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amk

Reaction score
Id like to get a new outboard jet boat but I'm having trouble finding one that I like. Most of the manufactured boats are either to small or big enough but have low max horse power ratings I don't like. Id like a 20-22' boat at least 70" wide on the bottom. Tunnel and pods with a 250 merc. Id be using it down here on the texas coast and gig flounder out of it so I'd need it to be flat bottom. Id like to go with a smaller motor but ill be running 6 guys sometimes with lights and gear so I need a motor that can push something like that at least 30. I'm not in a hurry to get it I want it to be exactly what I want and made right. I'd like opinions on this like how it will run, draft in the water, should I consider changing dimensions or add ons etc. Thanks

well if you went to an inboard then the power could be a lot better and burn less fuel

when you say inboard merc 200 are you talking about a 200hp sportjet ?
if so then yes it will move a boat that size if its total weight is not to heavy. they are a 2 stroke so fuel burn rates will still be high and you will be using alot of 2 stroke oil.

is that mercury optimax sport jet water cooled or does it have its own closed loop system.

If you are talking about a 250 outboard jet then remember you are looking for a HP rating of 175 for the hull.

I think alweld should be able to make a boat to fit your needs. A quick look at their site shows HP ratings up to 150. I'm sure they could do better.

Seaark has some off the shelf models in that size that would handle a 250 jet.

AMK, I was looking at flounder boat mods a while back and ran across a web page that shows the build of a custom flunder boat for the TX coast. The owner is not using anywhere the amount of HP that you are proposing, but it does mention where he had his hull custom fabricated.

I am sure if you find a really good builder that they will be able to build a boat for you rated to the HP level you are seeking.

https://gigflounder.com/boat2009/default.htm

Edit:
Here is the link to another build that I found to be really impressive. This build is going to use a 200HP motor which is getting closer to your goal.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20291

Rob

Thanks for the input. I've heard the Suzuki 140s are good and would be more than enough to push a 2070. The guy on the gig flounder.com is actually my neighbor. But the people that built his boat aren't exactly jet experts I'm going to get a quote from alweld and weld craft first I guess.

Another option for you to consider. They will build it however you like. I have no association with the company other than considering pulling the trigger on a 20' Sport as my retirement/last jet rig.

https://www.wooldridgeboats.com/catalog/products/alaskan-xl

A boat that size with all you want to carry you'll want a bare minimum of a 150. It should push it at or near 40, loaded down should get lower 30's, but that will be at or near full throttle. A 250 will get around 50 and be able to push that load in the mid to upper 40's. The 250 will get better fuel economy, if you don't run WOT everywhere. You'll be able to cruise at the speeds you are looking for at or near 4000 rpms.

Alweld will build it for whatever your needs are. If you are serious about getting that size boat/motor combo check with Troutt & Sons. They are in St. James, Mo and are one of the most experienced and knowledgeable dealers in jets that size and deal with Alweld and Blazer boats in that size range. They build 1756's and up with 250 XS's
https://www.trouttandsons.com

That is where I ordered mine from and they have many out of state customers that order and then drive to pick them up. I ordered mine as a commercial hull, they have no hp or weight limits, but it does not have any floatation either. I think you can only order hulls over 20' this way now, but that is the range you are looking for anyway. I think you can also have floatation added in a commercial hull now.

CedarRiverScooter said:
amk, have you considered a pontoon? A jet powered one would be kinda cool . . .
There is a guy on the Current River somewhere around Van Buren or Doniphan that has a pontoon with a 300 XS jet, I think they said it runs in the 40's.

I tried to contact them they are closed until today for holidays. In the meantime I found a local guy who has built coastal style jets since its custom and has to be ordered I have to put a down payment bank won't loan money until it's built. I've decided on a 2070 alweld flat with float pods, tunnel, jackplate, center console with leaning post and 52 inch front deck. It will have a Yamaha 175 4 stroke. Sitting on a coastline tandem trailer. He's built a couple just like it with a 150 and they'd run 40s light and 30s loaded.

ITS ORDERED! went with trout and sons. 2070 alweld cc no tunnel with pods and a 200 optimax pro xs.

I have ran a 2060 with a 200 opti and it was an awesome boat.
The size of it made it not turn in reverse but other than that pure awesomeness