boat size?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boaterjoe

Reaction score
I am a new member and have a couple of questions about buying a flat bottom?
I want to make a duck boat and put a blind on it. I have been looking at flat bottoms and found a couple I am interested in. Here is what I found; 1- 14' long by 73" wide with a 25 horse Evinrude.
2- 1983 Monark, 16' long by 63" wide, no motor

There is about $300 price difference with the Monark being a little higher, but is is also four hours away and the cheaper one is only one hour away.

I want a stable boat to stand on and hunt out of. Does the two foot shorter really make that much difference in the grand scheme of things?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Joe :?

A few more things for you to think about...
Fishing solo or 1 or more buddies?
Gear;decoys,guns,dogs,etc,all add to weight as well.
What size bodies of water do plan on fishing?
Even crossing big bodies of water before your spot.

On to your questions...
Those widths look like the top measurement,you want to know how wide it is in the water.
Look for the widest one,makes it more stable for standing/hunting...
Length does help in stablity as well,plus the total weight you can safely carry will increase with it.

Out of the 2 you mentioned,I can't really say which is better for you(no mention conditon,trailers,pictures...).
I fish/hunt out of a 1652(16' long 52" wide).I'm normally by myself and I wouldn't want to go to much smaller,winds pick up in a hurry and the water is cold duck season.

Welcome to the site,I'm sure others will chime in to help you out.

Zum said:
A few more things for you to think about...
Fishing solo or 1 or more buddies?
Gear;decoys,guns,dogs,etc,all add to weight as well.
What size bodies of water do plan on fishing?
Even crossing big bodies of water before your spot.

On to your questions...
Those widths look like the top measurement,you want to know how wide it is in the water.
Look for the widest one,makes it more stable for standing/hunting...
Length does help in stablity as well,plus the total weight you can safely carry will increase with it.

Out of the 2 you mentioned,I can't really say which is better for you(no mention conditon,trailers,pictures...).
I fish/hunt out of a 1652(16' long 52" wide).I'm normally by myself and I wouldn't want to go to much smaller,winds pick up in a hurry and the water is cold duck season.

Welcome to the site,I'm sure others will chime in to help you out.

Thanks for your input. I went ahead and got the 14' by 71" wide. It has a nice 25 horse Evinrude and appears to have been taken very good care of. The only thing I have to do now is find a blind or build one. Have you any suggestions or know of any web sites which would be good to check out for building a blind?

Joe