Boat unloading question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberflexx

Reaction score
OK, I may need your help.

Somedays I want to go fishing and I cant because I dont know how to unload my boat by myself.
Can you guys give me any tips or pointers/directions on how to unload a boat by yourself?
I will be wanting to unload my Ranger by myself..

thanks for the tips..

When I take my G3 out(which I go by myself at least 50% of the time), after i've got it unstrapped and all, I back it down the ramp into the water(leaving the crank strap attached).

Then once its far enough down into the water(the back half starts floating), I climb up in my truck bed and onto the tongue of the trailer.

Then I finish letting the slack into the strap and unhook the hook.

Then I kinda shove it til it drops off of the "winch post" and is floating and jump onto the front of it(the boat) and troll around, tie it to the dock, and park the truck and i'm on my way.

It's not too bad once you kinda get a pattern down that works for you. The best thing I would suggest is going when there isn't gonna be much ramp traffic and practice by yourself where you haven't gotta worry about other people. Hope this helps.

I ALWAYS UNLATCH THE WINCH ON MINE (JONBOAT) THEN TIE A 50' ROPE TO IT DRAPE IT OVER THE BED AND THEN THROUGH THE DRIVERSIDE WINDOW WHERE I LAY IT IN MY LAP, BACK DOWN AND "SHOOT IT" SO IT GOES STRAIGHT OFF THE TRAILOR, LET SOME SLACK BEFORE YOU STOP IT FROM GOING THEN STEP OUT ON THE GROUND OR DOCK AND TIE IT OFF. KEY IS TRY TO GET THE SIDE THAT HAS THE DOCK ON YOUR DRIVER SIDE SO YOU DON'T BREAK YOUR NECK TRYING TO GET OVER THE BED OF THE TRUCK

I do two ways, I ether leave the main strap on the boat, back into the water to the point where the boat is almost floating. Then I unhook the boat and power it off. Some places won't let me do that so then I just have long rope and I tie to the boat and the trailer float off the boat and drive up a little intill the boat comes to shore, I not sure if I would do that we a ranger unless I had keel shield installed.

thx
x

Thanks for the suggestions.. I like the floating it off the trailer then pulling it up on the ramp. I do have a keel guard installed. How bad does the concrete chew up a keel guard?

I do what Xmytruck does somewhat....I tie off the front with a long rope. I then back the boat up to where it is pretty much floating on its on. I then push it off holding the rope till it gets past the trailer and then pull it in by hand. I actaully load it the same way too.

I have a long rope that I attatch to the boat after I unhook the winch strap, I coil the rope on the deck of the boat and tie the line off to the trailor, back her in, the boat floats off, untie the rope and either beach it or tie her to the dock.

I back mine down unhook the bow strap the idle off the trailer and go over to the dock. the keel guard is okay on the beach but on the concrete it will get chewed up

I put the plug in first and then remove the back straps and transom saver and tilt my motors up I attach the dock lines to the boat cleats on the side that the pier/dock is on (I usually try for the drivers side of the boat for that) I back the boat in until the stern starts floating and then throw the dock lines on the pier/dock and undo the bow strap. I climb up on the pier/dock and pull the boat off the trailer and tie it off. Go park the truck and remove the electrical connector adapter from the trailer and place it on the driver's seat (can't get stolen there). I like the lines on the boat's driver side because it is easier leave the dock that way. It is also easier to tie up as I drape the stern line over a cleat as I approach the dock.

Recovering the boat I back the trailer in until the bunks are wet and then pull forward until the back of the bunks are about 2-3 inches above the water (best place for MY boat if a steep ramp, less if not so steep). I start the motor and let go the lines. I give myself a little shove away from the pier/dock and when I'm centered on the trailer give it about 1/2 throttle. When the boat stops I put it in neutral and shut it down and tilt the motor up and jump off the bow onto the ramp. Attach the bow strap and pull up far enough to verify the boat is centered on the trailer. Pull the plug and go park the boat and ready it for the road (transom saver, back straps, dock lines and gear stored properly)

flounderhead59 said:
I put the plug in first and then remove the back straps and transom saver and tilt my motors up I attach the dock lines to the boat cleats on the side that the pier/dock is on (I usually try for the drivers side of the boat for that) I back the boat in until the stern starts floating and then throw the dock lines on the pier/dock and undo the bow strap. I climb up on the pier/dock and pull the boat off the trailer and tie it off. Go park the truck and remove the electrical connector adapter from the trailer and place it on the driver's seat (can't get stolen there). I like the lines on the boat's driver side because it is easier leave the dock that way. It is also easier to tie up as I drape the stern line over a cleat as I approach the dock.

Recovering the boat I back the trailer in until the bunks are wet and then pull forward until the back of the bunks are about 2-3 inches above the water (best place for MY boat if a steep ramp, less if not so steep). I start the motor and let go the lines. I give myself a little shove away from the pier/dock and when I'm centered on the trailer give it about 1/2 throttle. When the boat stops I put it in neutral and shut it down and tilt the motor up and jump off the bow onto the ramp. Attach the bow strap and pull up far enough to verify the boat is centered on the trailer. Pull the plug and go park the boat and ready it for the road (transom saver, back straps, dock lines and gear stored properly)
I agree. We load/unload the boats very similar.

Latest posts