Boat Wiring Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dowclan

Reaction score
Guys,
I just purchased a boat, it's a 14' Lowe dbl-wide semi-vee. It has a Minn Kota Vantage 101lb thrust transom mount and a 42lb bow mount. There are 6-ea 6-volt Exide GC-5 batteries on-board. The 101lb motor is 36v and the bowmount is 12v. The original owner ran all the electronics from these batteries. Unfortunately there was no fish finder or battery charger included in the sale.
I need your expertise to properly wire the boat for these accessories. I guess the first question is, does it make sense to run all this equipment off these batteries? I can't imagine having to get another battery -these GC-5 batteries weigh 70lbs a piece! What would be the best way to wire the batteries to the electrical equipment and also provide a practical place to connect a charger. The next question is what type charger do I need to charge these batteries? Can one charger do it all, or do I need to charge them separately since two of the six batteries will have more load on them? I'd like to get a switch console for the bilge pump and aeriator pump and perhaps the fish finder. The original owner used marine grade 6-AWG wire for his battery connections (in series) and to the transom mounted motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

You would need to wire the batteries to get your 36v and hook up your rear trolling motor. Then wire your front trolling motor to 12v. Then you can wire the rest of the things to 12vfrom any of the remaining batteries. Easy to see in my head, but can't explain it.

Now how about the charging system.

If I place a battery switch between the 3-sets of 6-volt batteries, to isolate the batteries (or banks) from the charging unit, can I use a 12v 3-bank charger to charge these batteries? If so, which 3-bank charger would you guys recommend?

I've made a drawing, but can't figure how to upload it for your viewing.

Latest posts