bow fishing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have entered 2 Tournaments as a non boater, and I can honestly say that there were 2-3 dead fish at each weigh in. The people did the best they could to revive them, but it happens.

I know what you mean and if the fishermen kill the fish that one thing and they are penalized for dead fish so they will do all they can to keep the fish alive or its a weight deduction but when the fish comission just stands back and watch the tourny officials sit up on there chairs as these fish die in a holding tank that is totally jammed full of beautiful fish I think thats wrong. Theres no reason they couldnt dump the tanks when it only a 75yrd walk to where they dump them. Fish were floating everywhere. I still have nightmares over it!!!!!! LOL.\
And as for the Bow fishing I guess its no different than someone going out and shooting a deer just for the trouphy rack but im sure if you would look around theres alot of people that would gladly take the carp off of your hands and eat them. Theres alot of hungry people in the US that would love a fresh fish dinner! My dad says his mother use to cook carp back in the depression and he also says that if its ground and cooked right its excellent. Id try it, what the most that can happen. I eat ground hog when my buddies wife cooks it and beleive me ITS GOOD!!!!

I would gladly give someone all of the fish they could pack away if they wanted them.

It's pretty tough to find someone hanging out on the street corner that wants to pack off a bunch of bloody fish from the back of a truck nowdays though. :mrgreen:

I hear canned carp tastes just like canned salmon. I hate salmon patties so canned carp will never be on the menu around my house.

There is a lot of meat on these fish but their skeletal structure makes it such that you just about have to can them. Too many stray floating bones to just fillet them like most fish.

As far as the tournaments go, I used to work just about every weekend travelling with one of the big circuits when I was in high school.

There was always going to be some mortality. Even some that happened hours of days after the event.

It's hard on fish to haul them around in a sloshing livewell all day long then throw them in a sack to be wagged around until they are released sometime later, even if every precaution possible is taken. At least most larger tournament trails have backed off on the tournaments that they have in the heat of summer.

Maybe Jim should add another subtiltle to the report area. Because the way I see it, is bowfishing has nothing to do with an actual fishing report. There is a very big difference in targeting a fish, and having the skill to catch it, rather then hitting it with an arrow after spoting it. This way, alot of people on this site can choose to read, or not read such reports.

Good thing that it's in the Watering Hole then. :lol:

Hunting down and shooting a fish takes less skill than blindly casting a lure or drowning a worm and waiting on a fish to inhale it?

Okay.....

If you have any questions about it, just shoot me a PM.

It's obvious that some on here are offended by it so there's no point in "making" them read things they don't want to. :mrgreen:

ill give my .02 since no one asked for it
1 a cheep mid 80s too mid 90s round wheel steel cable compond bow in the 35 - 55 lbs draw weight range and a reel gets you started buy the kit that comes with the arrow and rest and USE THE CABLE STRING GAURDS THAT COME WITH IT i cant stress that enough couse you can catch your arrow and esentually partially dryfire as you release the string smacks the arrow and you have a mess on your hands as well as a blown up bow its hard too explain but youll see when you look at the kit
2 especially if fishing from the bank buy good polerized glasses helps see the fish in the water
i also practiced in my folks swimming pool tie a milk jug too another milk jug partially filled with water and try and shoot it from pool side AIM LOW when you think you aimed low enough go lower i fish out of my boat and my fiance says it looks like im aiming at the side of my boat carp fishing is best when done during the hottest times you can stand too be on the water they spawn on the surface and youll get some twofers shiskabob style lol hope that helps