Bow weight

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutbum

Reaction score
I have a 16/70 deep V polarkraft with a new 30hp etec on the back. I'm thinking about building a 5/8th deck up front and keeping two group 27 batteries up there for the 74 maxxum TM. My question is with me on the deck will this be an issue with weight I'm 180#. Last season with a friend in the boat I couldn't keep the bow down in the water, so I'm thinking the weight in the front will help when under power. I'm just concerned when fishing up there if I'll put the boat too low in the water when trolling with the bow tm.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the board sir!

I have a G3 1648 and 30 hp Nissan 4 stroke, PT&T, electric start. Front decks made from aluminum as well as my two group 27 batteries up front for the 24 V Minn-Kota.

Sitting in the water my boat is very well balanced. With just me it does slightly nose down, not bad at all. With two guys it sits perfectly level.

When I have my 15 hp two stroke on the make the nose tilts down pretty bad when just by myself and I have issues with keeping the transducer on the water.

However, that heavy 4 stroke really evens out weight distribution.

Also, when under way. The batteries up front really help with the ride quality and comfort.

In the pic is my old 25 merc two stroke. With that motor and me by myself the nose still sagged pretty good when fishing off the casting deck.

You should be pretty good with your setup. However I prefer aluminum.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 695
I would have liked to go aluminum in the front but feared for the cost of it. How do the batteries last with the tm. Get a from it? The etec is a 2 stoke but I'm sure it still weighs enough to keep her even with the fuel tank and starting batter back there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe it or not the aluminum cost was not that bad at all. I was able to get all of mine at the scrap yard at a far lesser cost. The trolling motor will last me all day long when on a medium low speed and fighting river current. Even though mine is the lower end minn Kota edge, I upgraded to the digitally controlled board. This improved the longevity of the batteries quite a lot.

That etec is a lot heavier than two strokes of years past. You should be just fine. I have a 6 gal tank in the back and a small motorcycle battery to power my graph and bilge. If you have a series 27 or 24 for starting that is even more weight to offset you up front.

Latest posts