Braided line sucks! I'm going back to Stren.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Razorback said:
No, I haven't tried that.

Rod guides are good. It's a fairly new rod that I've taken pretty good care of.

Does not really matter how new or well cared for the rod is - one micro crack or chip in the top guide will sometime cut or weaken the braided line. I usually cannot even see the crack but if I take a Q-tip and run it around and through the guide it will catch and show me the problem

i never had any problems with pro line. I do know it is slick as all get out and i have had a standard clinch knot pull out. i always tie a standard clinch knot now and add 2 overhand knots. I catch 20-28 inch redfish with the set up on 20 lb pro line and since have never been broken off. I know you said you colored the line black. You must have got an old batch like everyone is saying. heck I have one catfish rod with 65 lb test for hauling monster catfish out of the mississippi and never broke off. i swear by pro line. A reel spooled with BPS flourocarbon with is what I would call junk x3 line. It kinks and line twists about every fourth cast. do not use that mess

I have to throw in my opinion here as well: I promise if you grab the right spool of braid you will love it. It's not perfect for all applications, but for fishing texas rigs, topwater... pretty much any type of artificial bait, it's pretty tough to beat.

I still keep a rod or two with mono or fluoro line on it because there are times where Braid just isn't ideal, but go grab a spool of Power Pro or Sufix and I doubt you will be disappointed. Up until recently, I would only recommend Power Pro, but I threw some Sufix Braid on a reel this year on the recommendation of a friend, and I ALMOST prefer it over the Power Pro. The 30 lb stuff is nice and smooth, tough as nails, and has no memory at all. I love it.

But to each his own: you may get some good line and STILL not like it, and that's ok. I would just encourage you to get a good spool of Braid before giving up on it because I think you are denying yourself a pretty significant advantage.

Jim said:
Captain Ahab said:
Have you attempted to make the line break out of the water? Take a sturdy hook, tie your knot and stick the hook in a tree, fence post etc. Pull until something fails. If you have a good knot and unless your hook is super strong I would bet that you are able to bend the hook before the line breaks.

Have you checked the guides on your rod? A small chip or crack in a ceramic (ie glass) guide) will tear the braided line and make it weak

Let us know please

Be careful not to break your rod if you do this. :lol:

...... and make sure you wear eye protection too!!

Just tried it 3 times. Used the clinch knot mentioned above with the extra overhand knots.

First time it broke off at the eye of the hook. Knot still intact, it snapped where the line was through the eye of the hook.

Second time it broke off there was about a foot of line attached to the hook.

Third time there was about 4 or 5 feet of line still attached to the hook.

All of this was with a minimal amount of pulling. I have to pull twice as hard to break my 12lb stren.

Razorback said:
Just tried it 3 times. Used the clinch knot mentioned above with the extra overhand knots.

First time it broke off at the eye of the hook. Knot still intact, it snapped where the line was through the eye of the hook.

Second time it broke off there was about a foot of line attached to the hook.

Third time there was about 4 or 5 feet of line still attached to the hook.

All of this was with a minimal amount of pulling. I have to pull twice as hard to break my 12lb stren.

You sir - probably have a bad batch of line

I would return that line - braid is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy stronger then mono diameter for diameter

As pretty much everyone has already said...Braid does NOT break unless you, somehow, got a very bad batch. If it isn't the line itself, then perhaps it was rubbing against something and being nicked. Send it back and get your money back or get a spool of good line.

Whether you like the roughness ( I don't); or other features....braid simply doesn't break as easily as you described unless something strange is going on.

I don't like Spiderwire either. I use Powerpro. The only time I break it off is when I am power bait-casting a big muskie lure and I get a backlash. Doesn't happen often, I am happy to say.

Rich

Another voter for power pro line and the palomar knot. I have used spiderwire braid and didn't like it at all. Tried the power pro and haven"t looked back.

1 more vote for Power Pro!!!! i have fished for a living for over 20yrs & spend 200+ days a year on the water, power pro is definitely my choice

even though I don't like the braid I've used,because of getting wind knots while casting,it seems to be very strong line. never had problems with it breaking. sounds like a bad batch,or guide or spool related problem.

Spiderwire is crap... Power Pro is pretty good and I've cought lots of big fish on it and never had it break, I have had many hooks straighten, and actually had a hook pull out of a lure, but never had Power Pro break off, unless it was intentional.

Recently, I got a spool of Ohero braid at the Frank Sergent show. So far it's pretty **** good, every bit as strong as Power Pro, it's thinner, more flexible, and doesn't have that damned waxy coating. An it's only a few dollars more than Power Pro.

Yea, Palomar knot is definitely the only way to go for braided line.

One thing that may have been already suggested is to check your rod tip for a small knick/cut. I had some braided line snap on me a few times because of a tiny cut in my ceramic rod tip guide that wasn't snapping the mono I had replaced. (I think the knick got there from reeling in lures all the way to my rod tip...tsk tsk!)

Here's a picture & video of a palomar knot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiDDdW22X9k
palomar.gif

Here's a picture of how I felt after losing $20 in lures:
Homer-Facepalm.jpg

One way to check your guides for nicks and cuts is to stuff a strand from a cotton ball through the eye. The tiny fibers of the cotton will catch and reveal nicks we cannot see with the naked eye. R

richg99 said:
One way to check your guides for nicks and cuts is to stuff a strand from a cotton ball through the eye. The tiny fibers of the cotton will catch and reveal nicks we cannot see with the naked eye. R

That's a great idea! =D> =D>

Man I love the folks on this forum!

In the old days...( Ah! in MY time)...the advice was to pull a piece of women's nylons through the eye. Woman's nylons are NOT as easy to find, these days, as cotton balls. Ha Ha!
regards, Rich