Breakaway river anchor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Man

Reaction score
This setup works with any style anchor that allows a shackle to be placed at the bottom. The rhode is tied to the bottom of the anchor using a stainless shackle and then ziptied to the top shackle. It will take some testing to find the right number of ties, but they act as a breakaway in case it gets hung up allowing the anchor to be removed from the snag.

*Edit Apparently Tapatalk uploaded my pictures backwards.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399046525111.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399046525111.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 919
  • uploadfromtaptalk1399046544397.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399046544397.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 919
  • uploadfromtaptalk1399046589248.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399046589248.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 919
I used to rig all of my rebar anchors that way for wreck fishing. Sometimes the Zipties will break when you are fishing & you have to reset & sometimes they fight you when you are trying to break them. It's still the best chance you have at retrieving your anchor! Let us know how you like those anchors, I was thinking about trying them.

I threw one of them in a brush pile the other night to see how it would work. Held me firm while fishing but as soon as I was ready to leave a sharp pull broke the zip tie. I have found 1 small ziptie to have enough strength to let me set the anchor with the outboard with a gradual pull and not break, but a sudden sharp pull breaks it easily.

I use the same thing in my kayak when I take it out. It works great, but when you're in a kayak it's a little harder to pull with enough strength to break the zip tie and not flip the yak over and take a bath in the process. : )

Latest posts