Broken Ribs (Hats)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTotty

Reaction score
I've got a 1986 Yazoo Flat bottom that I recently purchased and am working on getting sea-worthy. When I pulled all of the wood out I found three ribs that were/are cracked down the center. They have been welded, but seem to be cracking again. My plan is to cut them out (drill out the rivets) and have 3 new ones made. I've also thought about just drilling the rivets and adding some angle aluminum over top of the ribs on each side and replacing the rivets. Any advice on doing this?

-Chris

I've always repaired broken ribs (square ones) by using a piece of square tube with one side cut away to form a channel, then slip it over the top, and weld both ends. You want it to extend at least 3-4" on each side of the break.

For round profile ribs, take a piece of aluminum pipe, and use a vertical bandsaw or table saw to split the pipe in half, then use the half-round piece to plate over the broken rib, similar to the method described above.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322091#p322091 said:
PSG-1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:09 am[/url]"]I've always repaired broken ribs (square ones) by using a piece of square tube with one side cut away to form a channel, then slip it over the top, and weld both ends. You want it to extend at least 3-4" on each side of the break.

For round profile ribs, take a piece of aluminum pipe, and use a vertical bandsaw or table saw to split the pipe in half, then use the half-round piece to plate over the broken rib, similar to the method described above.

This is what I would do as well. In a pinch, you could weld angle on either side with one leg over the top.

Thanks guys. i removed all three ribs tonight, and plan to take them to the welding shop in the morning to see how much to make some new ones and or if they think they can be salvaged. It worries me that they have already been welded once. It was sure fun drilling all of those 1/4 inch rivets out. I'm sure i'll have a blast putting them back in as well =D>

Latest posts