Busy frustrating weekend

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utahusker

Reaction score
I've had a busy week refinishing my trailer and all the fun that goes with that.

Then I go to change my water pump on my "81" 25 hp hp Evinrude and all goes well other than no water coming out the tell tale :x It worked fine before I got my grubby mitts on it, though the old impeller was cracked. So it did need replaced. I'm pretty sure my water tube isn't placed in the upper grommet. A redo isn't going to happen till next week since I'm out of town for work.

I then stripped one of my linkage view plate screws on the exhaust housing. This isn't a load bearing screw so what would be the best way of repairing it. I don't have a helicoil kit, but I'm sure that would be best. Where's the best place to buy one? Or do I even need to go that route?

Anyway I'm bummed, since I did more damage than repair.

Man - that stinks - worst feeling in the world.

I am sure you can get things fixed - not to sure about the stripped screw (I mean I cannot picture where it is) - maybe just a tap and die set?

Get that tell tale working

Did you put the impeller in backwards?

No, the impeller was installed correctly. I need to find a very good flashlight and make sure the copper water tube is installed right in the top of the motor. I hope I don't need to take off the exhaust housing.

As to the linkage plate, it's a small oblong plate located midway up the exhaust housing. You remove it to disconnect the shift linkage.

That's not all, I looked at my trailer after towing my boat for a test drive and both inner seals are leaking grease. I changed all bearings, races and seals last week. I also installed Bearing Buddies, and filled the hubs per their instructions. They didn't show grease till after the test drive.

Sorry for all the problems. I had a weekend that just didn't turn out at all like I had envisioned it. I feel for ya.

All is fixed, I installed an Evinrude OEM pump and it works now :shock: The stripped screw on the shift linkage cover is non-load bearing,so that isn't too much of a problem.

The trailer bearing problem was ALL operator error. I installed 1 1/16" bearings on a 1" axle :oops:

We're taking it out for it's maiden voyage this weekend (fingers crossed)

Latest posts