Buying my first O/B jet looking for suggestions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyfish2005

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm going to be buying my first O/B jet Jon and I would really appreciate any advice y'all might have.

I'm planning on doing a bit of guiding out of the boat so I will need room for 3 people. Thinking 1752 at least

I am a big dude (350lbs) so it will need to be able to push my *** and 2 others up stream. 60/40?

I will be primarily using the boat on the Lower Colorado River East of Austin. It definitely has some skinny water with a lot of hydrilla in the summer months. Tunnel or no tunnel?

I am leaning toward a tiller stear to keep the boat open for ease of moving around.

I will also be putting oars and oar locks on it. As well as a trolling motor, and possibly a motorized anchor.

I really don't want to buy new being that it is my first boat and all.

I really appreciate any advice!!

Thanks

Tyler

It really depends on what your budget is, but I would be looking for the widest boat if you plan on taking others out. I have a 1652 and it's fine for me. In your situation, I'd probably be looking at a 1872 or a 1760 to 1860 at the narrowest. You probably want pods on the back as well to help with the shallow water running. SeaArk has an 1872 which would allow you to get a console and have room to move around it, but they get pretty pricey. I like the tunnel hull that my boat has but it seems to be a 50/50 preference for others. And you'll need more than a 60/40 if you go 17' or bigger.

Here's a picture of my 1652 with the center console which is only 19" wide, there is not much room to get around it. That's why I would suggest an 1872.
-

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_4.jpg
    Lowe_1652_4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,870
Thanks Jeff! I am actually leaning toward a tiller steer to keep an open floor. I have a good friend who runs a 1752 with a 40/30 and it does ok with me +2 others in it, but it does struggle a bit to get on plane. The sponsons on back are a great idea!

I guess it also depends on how far you plan on running. I have a 60/45 and I never need to use WOT but I just go upstream for about 15 minutes and float back down. A jet at WOT for an extended period of time will really drive you crazy without ear protection. The 4 strokes aren't as bad as the 2 stroke like mine but if you want/need to do higher speeds for extended time you will want more power. If you are going to have a balanced weight load with people up front then the tiller should work fine. SeaArk makes the 1872 in an open floor plan as well and they don't cost as much. I don't think you need the sides like mine has, I bought it used that way so no reason to mess around with it.

I always tell people get all the hp you can get! Have seen so many people add a jet to there boat and hate it because of performance! The biggest thing is getting on plane when you need to!!! Not
Top end speed. Wide base, more hp with the biggest pump
Will do wonders! As far as tiller like one said if you have the extra people all the time it's works fine
But a wide open stick lets you load better, see better.
I have a 2072 seaArk right now with a
200 Mercury and it gets on plane super quick! And runs faster down river than I want to.
Going to try to post a picture of my last stick steer. Not much more open than this!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    247.9 KB · Views: 2,821
I have an 18/52 with 60/40 Mercury jet. By myself with all my fishing gear, trolling motor, batteries I have hit 33 downstream and 29 upstream. With the entire family, two adults, two kids, that drops off a couple mph. I run a tiller and would have nothing but a tiller. Quicker turning on the river I run plus way more room. I have two live wells under rear bench with decks over starter battery and fuel tank. With all that said, I run on the current river in Missouri and we have motor restriction on the stretch of river I'm on the most. If not restriction I would probably went with an 18/60 flat bottom semi V front with the Mercury 115/80 jet with tiller. I fish some in lakes and i would like to be a bit faster. I am very very pleased with what I have though. Very fuel friendly and fast enough on the river I run. Have never owned a boat with anything other than tiller steering. Pm if you want more pics.
f4342c0f6f2a7ab0323d6e82b5b5421a.jpg
0f45ded460bbefb836ca02a4b9153410.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archery68 said:
I have an 18/52 with 60/40 Mercury jet. By myself with all my fishing gear, trolling motor, batteries I have hit 33 downstream and 29 upstream. With the entire family, two adults, two kids, that drops off a couple mph. I run a tiller and would have nothing but a tiller. Quicker turning on the river I run plus way more room. I have two live wells under rear bench with decks over starter battery and fuel tank. With all that said, I run on the current river in Missouri and we have motor restriction on the stretch of river I'm on the most. If not restriction I would probably went with an 18/60 flat bottom semi V front with the Mercury 115/80 jet with tiller. I fish some in lakes and i would like to be a bit faster. I am very very pleased with what I have though. Very fuel friendly and fast enough on the river I run. Have never owned a boat with anything other than tiller steering. Pm if you want more pics.

Nice simple little Blazer. Great outfit for the Current and any other of our little rivers. And 33 mph on the Current probably feels more like a take off speed :)

momule said:
archery68 said:

Nice simple little Blazer. Great outfit for the Current and any other of our little rivers. And 33 mph on the Current probably feels more like a take off speed :)
Thanks. I like simple. Very pleased with my boat and motor.

Thanks Archery68!! That is a great looking rig! Looks like exactly what I am looking for! Who did you have put it together for you?

Tyfish2005 said:
Thanks Archery68!! That is a great looking rig! Looks like exactly what I am looking for! Who did you have put it together for you?
Ernies sales in Ellington Missouri. Same town Blazer boats are made.

Theres a thread on here one guy got a 1870 weldbuilt with a 115/105 Yamaha 4 stroke obj tiller it looked like a pretty sweet rig he seemed happy with it. If I was looking for an outboard rig it would be that or the blazer. I bought my obj in Missouri and also run the lower Colorado just keep in mind its a long drive and imo is worth it as long you don't run into engine trouble because as I understand it you can get it serviced anywhere however warranty work is done by the dealer you bought the motor from.

heres the link to the thread he has some pics. https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=38258

I was told if u have a problem and still under warranty, you can take to any authorized Mercury dealer to get the work done. Could be wrong but that's what I was told when I bought my motor.

Latest posts