Calif Dept of Fish & Wildlife Security Breach

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I thought this was odd enough to share.

I just received an email notice today from CDFW that one of their third party vendors suffered a cyber security breach. The result is information stored by that vendor was accessed by unauthorized individuals. This actually happened in March. CDFW is no longer sharing info with that vendor and besides an apology, offers some links to sites that provide guidance for potential identity theft.

My info is likely already out there in wide world, so I'm not overly excited. I just thought it was unusual. Not surprising I guess that no database is really safe.

Here is the info that was potentially compromised:
  • Last Name
  • First Name
  • Middle Name
  • Suffix
  • Age In Years
  • Primary Phone Number
  • Secondary (Evening) Phone Number
  • Mobile Phone Number
  • GO ID (Fishing/Angler License #)
  • Information about the license, such as license type and sales date.

I just hope I don't start getting more car warranty calls.

When I was young the company I worked for got a contract with one of the big three US auto manufacturers. I was very excited and was telling my neighbor about it. His reply was "in 5 years you won't know whether it was the best or worst thing that ever happened to your company."
He was absolutely correct.

As I have aged I've often wondered the same thing about computers and the internet. Good luck.

I thought this was odd enough to share.

I just received an email notice today from CDFW that one of their third party vendors suffered a cyber security breach. The result is information stored by that vendor was accessed by unauthorized individuals. This actually happened in March. CDFW is no longer sharing info with that vendor and besides an apology, offers some links to sites that provide guidance for potential identity theft.

My info is likely already out there in wide world, so I'm not overly excited. I just thought it was unusual. Not surprising I guess that no database is really safe.

Here is the info that was potentially compromised:
  • Last Name
  • First Name
  • Middle Name
  • Suffix
  • Age In Years
  • Primary Phone Number
  • Secondary (Evening) Phone Number
  • Mobile Phone Number
  • GO ID (Fishing/Angler License #)
  • Information about the license, such as license type and sales date.

I just hope I don't start getting more car warranty calls.
With all that information, surely the culprit will catch bigger fish.
I doubt the thief can do much with any of that personal information. Maybe he'll pay your membership fees.

With all that information, surely the culprit will catch bigger fish.
I doubt the thief can do much with any of that personal information. Maybe he'll pay your membership fees.

Yep, if they want to pay for my license renewal that is OK with me. Haha.

I kind of feel that info is kind of already out there for anyone who really wants it. Exception would be my CA fishing license number. Not much they can do with that.

Latest posts