Calling Big Bream Experts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlmood77

Reaction score
I am attempting to tie a Catalpa Worm on a jig head for bream fishing. I am close to being pleased with my attempt, but am a little unsure that it may be to big. This one is 1 5/16" long and about 1/4" wide.
Picture058.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture064.jpg

This one is slightly smaller in size with a smaller head.
I think the hackle adds a little too much to this one, so I will probably do without the hackle.
Picture057.jpg

Picture066.jpg

So, questiion is, is it too big for the big bulls or not.

You can't make it too big for the big boys... I use the REAL catapala worms (or Catawba Worms which is what we call them) that are about 3-4" long and cut the head off, turn them inside out with a little twig, then put them on a 1/0 hook. Bream, bass, catfish - you name it, they bite it.. and they don't care what size it is.

But that is one awesome lure you're making there - great work!

I think you should keep the hackle on some of them. Depending on the time of year and other conditions I think it will do you good. Around here the big bream tend to hit the "fuzzy" jigs/flys.

Those will work great! I catch a lot of panfish on really large baits so those little guys you made shoudl be perfect.

Make a few in white and black for crappie and you are set

russ010 said:
You can't make it too big for the big boys... I use the REAL catapala worms (or Catawba Worms which is what we call them) that are about 3-4" long and cut the head off, turn them inside out with a little twig, then put them on a 1/0 hook. Bream, bass, catfish - you name it, they bite it.. and they don't care what size it is.

Why are you turning them inside out?

flounderhead59 said:
russ010 said:

Why are you turning them inside out?

They have a magical lime green creme filling that the fishy's LOVE! :lol:

Looks good to me, I catch a lot of bigger gills on bass grubs, small cranks, and even ricos, so i doubt there too big. As for the hackle let the fish decide.

Looks Good. I tied an "egg sucking leech" on a jig last night. The guy I work with told me to give it a try and see if it works, as he has had good luck with the Gulp leeches and other leech imitators in this area. Pretty easy to tie up and I think mine turned out well. Apparently a pink or orange jig head is key, as that looks like the egg. When tied as a fly they use peach, pink, or orange colored yard for the egg.

Latest posts