Can I Change the Water Pump?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Well, I've read many posts here about dropping the lower unit and changing the impeller (I guess that's the water pump), but I'm a little leary of trying it myself??

Got a 1996 40hp Merc Force (I know, nothing good to be said about the Force), and, it only spits water (not a stream) which, I understand, is normal for that motor. This will be our 3rd year of ownership and, while we don't put a lot of time on it, we still want to make sure it's pumping & cooling properly. I've also read here, that changing the impeller every 3 years is good maintenance.

So, I have the manual & parts list, and I might be able to find some instructions on-line??? I am pretty mechanically inclined and have others that could help as well - although, they're forte is cars, not outboards. I'd like to do it before our trip to Bull Shoals (Ark) in May. More fishing before that, but the 9.9 kicker will work for that...

What's the concensus?? Try it or take it to a marina?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

have you called the marina for a price quote? they may be hurting for business and be willing to cut you a deal.
if the price is to high you could most likely do it and save a buck

redbug said:
have you called the marina for a price quote? they may be hurting for business and be willing to cut you a deal.
if the price is to high you could most likely do it and save a buck

Nope, but that's a good idea, thanks.

Do it yourself. Real easy job, and not worth what the marina will make you pay, unless they are only getting 10 bucks or so for labor. You've got the service manual, so you should be good to go. It should have instructions to change those.

Anyone have the service manual for a 90hp Merc?

Mine doesn't need to be changed yet but I am going to do it myself whenever it is due. I'm pretty sure that the only catch to it is putting it in forward gear before dropping the lower unit.

Quackrstackr said:
I'm pretty sure that the only catch to it is putting it in forward gear before dropping the lower unit.
Well that, and disconnecting the shift rod. On many, they tell you to put it in forward as that is the only position that the disconnect is reachable.

YOU CAN DO IT! Realy, it's simple. Plus it will give you a little education for that one day on the water that you need to do a little in the field adjustment. On my 25 yammy I need to have the shift in the reverse so that I can reach the nuts on the shift rod. But anyways, unhook the shift rod first, then unbolt the lower unit. It may take a little persuasion with a RUBBER mallet. The unit will slide out. the water pump will be under the cover connected to the shaft. 3 or 4 bolts is what is holding the cover on. Then it will all slide back together. I couldnt find much online as far as instructions for doing this, all of the sites charged. But really, its easy. I hear alot about doing it every three years, but on my last boat I changed it at the begining of the season, every season. For such a cheep and important part, better safe than sorry.

Captain Ahab said:
Do it - it is not that hard

I have faith in you

and if you need help - just fly me in!

Okay, thanks for your faith, but??? Is there an airport in Bucks County, pottssylvania????? :p

It will take two hours the first time as you will take your time. I can change out my lower unit from prop to jet pump in 35min. 40 if
im doing just water pump. You also remember that I change back and forth two or three time a year and every thing isn't stuck.
WFFF

FishingCop said:
Captain Ahab said:
Do it - it is not that hard

I have faith in you

and if you need help - just fly me in!

Okay, thanks for your faith, but??? Is there an airport in Bucks County, pottssylvania????? :p

There are many! We even have horseless carriages here

Ask Jim if you can use the TinBoats jet :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies. Doesn't sound like a big deal, so I'll order up the parts and do it myself. I'll get the boat out of storage in two weeks, and tackle it then before our first trip on April 24th.

If I have any problems, Capt. can fly in and help.

We can use the jet, right Jim???

Okay, so I decided I can do it myself - now, I can find the impeller, but I can't find the whole kit for my engine?? Looked at several on-line suppliers of Force products, but can't find the kit???

Wouldn't I be wise to get the kit which includes gaskets, o-rings, etc.?? instead of just a new impeller???? Actually, won't I need new gaskets, etc., when I tear it apart??

When I replaced mine the gaskets and ring was in great shape so I just reused it. Look it over carefull and use your best judgment on if it needs replaced.

Latest posts