Can I charge TM battery through circuit breaker?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkuster

Reaction score
I have a dedicated trolling motor battery that is connected to a Minn Kota 60A circuit breaker and then to a TM receptacle. My TM power cord has a plug soldered on the end that plugs into the receptacle.

Can I solder the same type of plug onto my battery charger leads, and plug it into the receptacle to charge the battery?

The concern I have is that when the charger is connected up the circuit breaker will still be in the circuit and the current will be flowing in the reverse direction (into the battery instead of out of it.)

Will this work, or do I need to somehow bypass the Minn Kota circuit breaker when charging the battery? :?:

Thanks for the help!

I've been charging my Minn Kota power center through the external terminals which sends the charge through the built in 60amp breaker back to the battery. I never had a problem and still get a good charge.
The only issue that may arise is the distance back to the battery. You want the charger to send the right voltage to the battery and an automatic charger may have an issue detecting proper voltages. Read the manual for the charger on extending cables. I know the one I'm installing (Minn Kota MK- 210d) says 12awg wire no longer than 15' total. Also my charger has temperature sensors on the wire that can be messed up when wires are extended if not done right.

Latest posts