Can I extend my trailer tongue?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Taylor

Reaction score
My trailer is a Karavan tilt trailer, with a 2" X 3" tongue. I would like to lengthen it 1-2 feet or replace it. How do I go about it? Where do I get the parts, etc? Since it's a tilt trailer, with a removable pin, there's no welding involved, correct? Thanks.

I took a bunch of aluminum cans to my local recycle place and asked the owner if I could look around for a 3 x 3 square tube that he would sell me. He agreed. I left home with six trash bags of cans, and came home with: a 11 ft long sq tube pipe, two dollars, and an orange crush soda. I went home and cut and drilled; no welding required.

Try asking at a metals recycling center or look in the yellow pages for a metal/steel supplier.

You can replace a 2 x 3 with a 3 x 3, IF the original tube was laying on it's side with the 3" being horizontal. If it was, the housing where the tongue is attached will be 3" wide inside. If it isn't, then You'd need to stay with a 2 x 3. Normally, the biggest size on a rectangular tube will be verticle, since that's the strongest direction. Square tube is more commonly used now because it's cheaper from suppliers, due to larger quantity of production.

You don't tell where You're located, so in general, look under metal suppliers in the Yellow pages. For a smaller trailer, like most tilt jobs, a 3 x 2 tube with a 14ga (.083) wall would be sufficient, but if You want extra strentgh go with an 1/8" (.125) wall thickness. Co.s such as Metalsupermarkets, Metals online, Alro, should have what You need. The one disadvantage of a rectangular tube is the supply available, in comparison to a sq. tube. It also makes the likelyhood of finding surplus considerably lower. Also these tubes normally come in 24' lengths, and most places will charge $25-40 to cut to size, since they don't want to have "drops" left. Metalsupermarkets sells by what ever size You need, with NO cutting charge, so if there's one in Your area, that'll probably be the best choice.
Good Luck and hope to see the conversion on the site.

My original tongue was a 3x3, so I replaced it with the same size, but longer. You should stick with the 2 x 3.

Are you guys doing anything to coat the inside of the tube I wasn't sure if it would corrode or not looking at probably replacing mine

Thanks guys. The tongue is 2X3 with the 3" running vertically, and it's galvanized. I live about 25 miles west of Milwaukee, WI. Does the boat have to be off the trailer to extend the tongue, or replace it with a longer one?

I stopped at a trailer dealer today and a boat repair shop, and didn't get much help. Can I safely add on 1' to 2' to my current tongue? The current tongue length is just under 11', 2" X 3" galvanized. I would be happy if all I could add on was 1 foot, but I would prefer 2 feet. The boat is not super heavy by any means. It's a 16' flat bottom jon boat, with a 25 hp outboard, front trolling motor and battery. Thanks.

I recently mounted my trolling motor on the front of boat, and now I can't open my tailgate all the way. The trailer has always been a little too short for the boat. NOW that you know why, do you have any advice for me?

If you have enough tongue weight you can lengthen the bunks and move the boat back on the trailer. The trailer I have is best suited for a 12' boat my boat is 14' long. I added extended bunks and moved the fuel tank, battery and anchors to the front of the boat when towing. Some day I will add some length to the tongue and reposition the boat on the trailer.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
If you have enough tongue weight you can lengthen the bunks and move the boat back on the trailer. The trailer I have is best suited for a 12' boat my boat is 14' long. I added extended bunks and moved the fuel tank, battery and anchors to the front of the boat when towing. Some day I will add some length to the tongue and reposition the boat on the trailer.

If that was an option, I would do it.

Andy Taylor said:
My trailer is a Karavan tilt trailer, with a 2" X 3" tongue. I would like to lengthen it 1-2 feet or replace it. How do I go about it?

My idea would be to put a swing away tongue kit on it. Think they run around $100 or so and you would have to provide the 1' to 2' you'd want to add.

Thanks Ictalurus. Have you used a swing away tongue kit? Why do you recommend that vs. sleeving my tongue and adding on?

Andy Taylor said:
Thanks Ictalurus. Have you used a swing away tongue kit? Why do you recommend that vs. sleeving my tongue and adding on?

I've used a swing away tongue, but not on my rig. I'm actually pondering the idea myself which led me to check out this thread. I like them for several reasons; 1) it lengthens the tongue, 2) still is able to fold up so it won't take up more space, and 3) you can take it off it you don't like it. I was looking into them to make the trailer longer so I don't have to back so far down the ramp, my trucks only two wheel drive :oops: and I'm always nervous about getting the rear tires in the water (I've seen others have some funny moments with algae on the ramps).

Ictalurus said:
Andy Taylor said:

I've used a swing away tongue, but not on my rig. I'm actually pondering the idea myself which led me to check out this thread. I like them for several reasons; 1) it lengthens the tongue, 2) still is able to fold up so it won't take up more space, and 3) you can take it off it you don't like it. I was looking into them to make the trailer longer so I don't have to back so far down the ramp, my trucks only two wheel drive :oops: and I'm always nervous about getting the rear tires in the water (I've seen others have some funny moments with algae on the ramps).

I'm trying to decide between the swing away tongue, and adding on a tongue with a sleeve, bolted on. I would never use the swing away feature though. I would just use it to lengthen tongue. Which method do you guys think would be stronger?

I'd imagine any place that builds or works on trailers can sell you the parts you need.

Since you are up here ( near me) you probably don't need galvanized. A good junk yard might have an old trailer or two laying around, all smashed up.

I sleeved my tongue addition years ago. I found a smaller piece than my present trailer tongue. I bought a short piece of trailer tongue that matched my original tongue; slipped the insert piece inside. I bolted the insert to the extension..then drilled the original tongue AND the insert for pull-out bolt/pins.

That way, I could shorten the extension when I put her in the garage. One afternoon and lots of easy launching after that. Rich

p.s. Looks like there are trailer manufacturers in both Chilton and Stoughton Wisc.

Thanks Rich. My tongue is only 2" X 3" OD, so wouldn't the inside be too small of a diameter to sleeve? I was thinking I'd have to sleeve it on the outside. There's a Metal Supermarkets store near me I can get the tubing. They have tubing that's 2.5" X 3.5" OD, with an inside of 2 and 1/8" X 3 and 1/8", and 3/16" thick. So that should fit over my 2 X 3 tongue. Sound like it would work?

Latest posts