Grease Guns for Multiple Applications?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have average experience with grease guns. I don’t live on a farm so no tractors. I grease for maintenance purposes, which is not much more than 1-2X per year for the below vehicles/toys.

I have and use the inexpensive off the shelf grease guns and they have troubles with leaking, air pockets, etc. I purchased these because they are readily available, and for the most part, get the job done…albeit with much frustration and usually a mess!

I grease my vehicles front ends, my travel trailer wheel bearings (mainly repacking), my boat trailer wheel bearings (mainly repacking) and my outboard steering tube, swivel bracket, etc.

The above all use a different grease cartridge:

New Truck: Mobil 1 (14oz)
Trailer: Red N Tacky (14oz and 16oz tubs)
Boat Trailer: Lucas Marine (14oz.)
Mercury Outboard: 2-4-C (3 oz. tubes

With that said, it appears I need at least 4 different grease guns to avoid the mess and waster of changing grease guns for each grease application. I currently have one or two guns (as I have not needed a gun for trailers (because I do a complete repack), however a gun would be handy for in-between repacks on both trailer and boat trailers. Plus I would like to take a grease gun with me on longer trips when I take the boat or trailer.

For those of you that have trucks/vehicles, boat trailer, travel trailer/5th wheels, etc.,
What are you doing for grease guns?

One for each application?

Better quality grease guns (McNaught, Lock-n-Lube, Alemite, etc) or the inexpensive off the shelf type?

Thanks!

Same as you, multiple grease guns with different grease catridges, such that I forget whats in what. :rolleyes:

I'm interested in the answers you receive.

Truck mechanic here. I have a grease gun for each type of grease. I build a five gallon bucket to hold my guns in to keep the leaking guns from making too big of a mess. I have pieces of 3" PVC pipe screwed to the inside of the bucket to keep them separated. I have a 3" PVC cap on the bottom of the PVC pipes to help contain the grease from that specific gun in its own tube. It is easier to clean them that way.

Attachments

• Grease Gun Bucket.jpg
    Grease Gun Bucket.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 0
I have 3 grease guns 2 manual and 1 electric. The electric stays filled with traveller's hd lithium grease for all the tractors and equipment. 1 of the manual grease guns is for axles/wheel bearings and the other is for moly grease for the knotters on our balers. Both the manuals are just cheap models picked up from rural king.

Latest posts