Can I Take My New Boat to the Lake?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 15101

Reaction score
I failed to call Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and ask this question during business hours Friday, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out. Can I take my new boat out to the lake this weekend even though it's not technically registered yet? (The dealership is handling the registration.) If so, what documentation would I need to have with me in case I got checked by a Game Warden?

Thanks.

In va. You cant take it out until you have the stickers and paper work back from them. But you can buy a temporary registration online or from anywhere that sells fishing license s.

In Oregon the receipt that you have applied is your temporary registration. It doesn't make sense that if you buy a new boat or one that has expired tags that you should have to wait to use your boat. If you buy a new car do you have to wait until the title comes to drive it? No.

So I ended up calling my local Game Warden to ask this question. Turns out the dealership was supposed to give me temporary tags (just like on a car) until my registration is processed by Texas Parks and Wildlife. He said, however, that on the lake that he was patrolling today (which is where I was planning on going anyway), he would be fine with me just showing a copy of the bill of sale. He did mention that other Game Wardens may not be so flexible, though.

Anyway, we took the boat out and played around a bit. Wife wanted to do some fishing, so we hung out in a cove near the boat launch and didn't even hardly see any other boats.

Latest posts