Question about my new Garmin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, During my rebuild I added a little Garmin striker 4 plus. Before I just had a plain old fish finder that didn’t do a lot which made it user friendly anyway.
I’m going to have to teach my old self how to use the Garmin. Found some helpful videos. But I thought I’d see if anyone else has the same unit and could answer a question.
Boats ready except for a little trailer adjusting. The lake I’ll be going to the most had several man made structures and trees and brush piles etc. All put out by Parks and wildlife. Today I acquired a map with what each structure is made of , when it was put out and all of their gps coordinates.
Will I be able to enter coordinates directly into the Garmin and create a map to fallow? Or would I have to find each one then set the location in the unit?
Thanks to anyone that can help. I’m 57 and not to electronics savvy since I haven’t used any in the last 25 years.

I have a Stiker 4.

Yes you can enter the coordinates directly into the Garmin.
No, it does not create a map, it shows a dot (waypoint) in relationship to your location.

Enter the GPS coordinates as waypoints. They must be in a format compatible with the Garmin. I think it uses lat long in degrees as the default.

You can then use "navigate to" option and select a waypoint. Use the displayed heading line and drive towards the waypoint.

After you visit the waypoint, a route is created. Next trip you can follow the route.

If you enter the GPS coordinates at home, make sure to disable sonar transmission when the transducer is out of the water.

I have a Stiker 4.

Yes you can enter the coordinates directly into the Garmin.
No, it does not create a map, it shows a dot (waypoint) in relationship to your location.

Enter the GPS coordinates as waypoints. They must be in a format compatible with the Garmin. I think it uses lat long in degrees as the default.

You can then use "navigate to" option and select a waypoint. Use the displayed heading line and drive towards the waypoint.

After you visit the waypoint, a route is created. Next trip you can follow the route.

If you enter the GPS coordinates at home, make sure to disable sonar transmission when the transducer is out of the water.
Thanks so much!
I had read something about not having the unit on with the transducer out of the water. If I disable sonar transmission then I can do other things at home on the trailer? I’d like to enter those coordinates that way because there’s quite a few all over the lake depending on what time of year and what depth the fish are at will tell me which ones to go to. I’m thinking this will be a real time saver especially for night fishing l

Thanks so much!
I had read something about not having the unit on with the transducer out of the water. If I disable sonar transmission then I can do other things at home on the trailer? I’d like to enter those coordinates that way because there’s quite a few all over the lake depending on what time of year and what depth the fish are at will tell me which ones to go to. I’m thinking this will be a real time saver especially for night fishing l
Yes disable sonar transmission, I think it s a quick push of the power button.

Enter all the way point coordinates, name then, and select an icon.

Also recommend, setting a way point for the boat launch. You probably won't forget how to get to it, but it is nice to know how far away it is.

Don't forget to turn sonar transmission back on.

Yes disable sonar transmission, I think it s a quick push of the power button.

Enter all the way point coordinates, name then, and select an icon.

Also recommend, setting a way point for the boat launch. You probably won't forget how to get to it, but it is nice to know how far away it is.

Don't forget to turn sonar transmission back on.
Thank you Thank you !!! Was hoping someone had a Striker 4 that could help me out. The only instructions with it was how to mount the transducer and installation.
I’m glad you brought up the boat ramp. It’s not a huge lake but at night that’s going to be a nice feature. Especially when the weather forecast is off a little. Got rained on getting back to the ramp one day because it hit about 3 hours earlier than it showed that morning. Now if there’s a chance of rain I recheck the app every 30 min.- hr.

Thank you Thank you !!! Was hoping someone had a Striker 4 that could help me out. The only instructions with it was how to mount the transducer and installation.
I’m glad you brought up the boat ramp. It’s not a huge lake but at night that’s going to be a nice feature. Especially when the weather forecast is off a little. Got rained on getting back to the ramp one day because it hit about 3 hours earlier than it showed that morning. Now if there’s a chance of rain I recheck the app every 30 min.- hr.
Here's the manual.

Attachments

• STRIKER_Plus_OM_EN-US(1).pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 2
Good advice, there. A couple of thoughts:
  1. Verify the ACTUAL coordinates of waypoint items. Often, they have been moved, shifted, or aren't actually placed where they are supposed to be.
  2. It's pretty easy to make waypoints on the water. Just push the button with the location pin icon on it. ( I think it's bottom right on a Striker4) Then name it. Then you know you have the exact right coordinates
  3. Make sure to name each waypoint item so that you can easily recognize them. Abbreviate as needed, as long as you can easily recognize them.
  4. Make several waypoints in areas of critical navigation, like narrow channels or if there are underwater hazards.
Yesterday, I launched out of Lynnhaven Inlet, Virginia Beach with a new Garmin 93SV. I marked:
  1. The boat ramp
  2. The mouth of the creek where the boat ramp is located
  3. The center of the bridge span at the mouth of the inlet
  4. The center between the first buoys marking the channel coming from the Bay.
I labeled them LYN1, LYN2, LYN3 and LYN RAMP. If I need to get back in, I just go to LYN1, then 2, 3 and finally Ramp.

That's just how I do it, but it works.

Good advice, there. A couple of thoughts:
  1. Verify the ACTUAL coordinates of waypoint items. Often, they have been moved, shifted, or aren't actually placed where they are supposed to be.
  2. It's pretty easy to make waypoints on the water. Just push the button with the location pin icon on it. ( I think it's bottom right on a Striker4) Then name it. Then you know you have the exact right coordinates
  3. Make sure to name each waypoint item so that you can easily recognize them. Abbreviate as needed, as long as you can easily recognize them.
  4. Make several waypoints in areas of critical navigation, like narrow channels or if there are underwater hazards.
Yesterday, I launched out of Lynnhaven Inlet, Virginia Beach with a new Garmin 93SV. I marked:
  1. The boat ramp
  2. The mouth of the creek where the boat ramp is located
  3. The center of the bridge span at the mouth of the inlet
  4. The center between the first buoys marking the channel coming from the Bay.
I labeled them LYN1, LYN2, LYN3 and LYN RAMP. If I need to get back in, I just go to LYN1, then 2, 3 and finally Ramp.

That's just how I do it, but it works.
Everything is marked well. Underwater hazards and so forth. I can mark everything in the daytime so I’m not guessing at night. Cool. I’ll mark the outlet on the dam and a couple of rock walls I know about for more structural fishing.
Definitely spending some time on water before hitting it at night thanks to y’all. I’ll definitely have more piece of mind at night then.
I was thinking fishing spot. Never dawned on me to use it for safety as well.
Thanks for the reply.