Can I use Purple Power cleaner/degreaser?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoJack

Reaction score
I want to clean the inside aluminum hull can I use this? Some people say yes others no....20230209_122422.jpg

It was reported in a previous thread that Purple Power stains aluminum. Here is what their website says:

"Do not use Purple Power on Stainless Steel or Aluminum as it could leave white streaks or a hazy film. If accidentally used on Stainless Steel or Aluminum and you have this residue, try buffing with a Metal Polish, such as Wenols or Mothers Metal Polish to restore finish."

If you don't mind that kind of result, I hear it works really well. Otherwise, that caution would be enough to keep me from using it, mainly because I would want to avoid having to polish afterwards. If you are just removing tarnish, Ive found using Starbrite aluminum cleaner/restorer to work really well if instructions are followed.

I have been scrubbing and power washing all day and the dirt isn't coming off and there are area I can't get to.
I am trying to clean the inside to seal rivets and seams and fill some holes. I would like to paint it to protect the aluminum but I can't apply paint if it isn't clean....
The plan is to install a new plywood floor.
View attachment 113571View attachment 113572View attachment 113573

It was reported in a previous thread that Purple Power stains aluminum. Here is what their website says:

"Do not use Purple Power on Stainless Steel or Aluminum as it could leave white streaks or a hazy film. If accidentally used on Stainless Steel or Aluminum and you have this residue, try buffing with a Metal Polish, such as Wenols or Mothers Metal Polish to restore finish."

If you don't mind that kind of result, I hear it works really well. Otherwise, that caution would be enough to keep me from using it, mainly because I would want to avoid having to polish afterwards. If you are just removing tarnish, Ive found using Starbrite aluminum cleaner/restorer to work really well if instructions are followed.
Well, I went ahead and used this particular Purple Power and it didn't do much..
I have been scrubbing and power washing all day and the dirt isn't coming off. There are lots of areas I can't get to.
I would like to paint the floor to protect the aluminum but I can't apply paint if it isn't clean....
My main plan is to install a new plywood floor.20230209_144537.jpg20230209_144520.jpg20230209_144611.jpg20230209_144505.jpg

If you aren't able to get the Starbrite stuff, walk into Napa and get a gallon of aluminum brightener. It's acid based as well, cut it 50/50 with water, spray on and scrub lightly, rinse off. Works great.

If you aren't able to get the Starbrite stuff, walk into Napa and get a gallon of aluminum brightener. It's acid based as well, cut it 50/50 with water, spray on and scrub lightly, rinse off. Works great.
The stuff stuck on the aluminum looks like what was left of the flotation foam that apparently glued itself down. Will Starbrite remove it or should I use acetone?

Latest posts