Canoeing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Hadn't even thought about this before. I have done quite a bit of canoeing, especially through scouts. Our troop tries to do a canoe trip at least annually. Often, we like to run up to the North Georgia rivers (Etowah, Chestatee) and canoe the runs they have up there. We have also done the Chattahoochie, and Broad River. In 2005, the troop went to the Okeefenokee Swamp, but I missed that, but made it on the 3 day Suwannee River trip last February. I just got back from a 4 day (3 on the water) Okeefenokee trip. Saw somewhere between 80 and 100 gators, and spent two nights out in the middle of the swamp. There is talk of a 10 - 15 day canoe river canoe trip (for the older guys of course - the 12 year olds would have some trouble with that) in the next year or so.

Also, it seems just about every get together at the lake with whatever group ends up with a bunch of canoes, so I have logged a whole bunch of hours out on Allatoona in them. Plus, I somehow find myself on 2 hour or so trips down short runs in the lower Etowah from time to time as well.

My dad recently purchased a 15 foot SmokerCraft canoe, which is a nice wide stable rig, but it is just too small for me. It is one of the best built aluminum canoes I have ever encountered, FAR outdoing Grumman, which is the name in aluminum canoes, it would seem. It sits too low for my liking, and apparently for a lot of peoples liking, due to the number of times it swapped operators on the Oke trip. All I was getting was complaints (heck, I should have left it at home, and allowed those folks to use the Grumman that the Northwest Ga scout camp loaned us, that looked like a load of riprap had been dumped on it while upside down :shock: ).

I really prefer the Old Town models, particularly the Discovery 169. Aside from a heavy carrying weight, it is an excellent canoe, and about as durable as you are going to get. Hopefully, I can fund one of these once I turn 16, and can actually get a job (dumb labor laws :roll: ), as I plan to do quite a bit more paddling on a regular basis, as the doctor wants me to do more upper body exercises due to my bad back, seeing as I dislike that SmokerCraft.

How many of y'all do any canoeing on a regular basis?

When I was in scouts (many, many. many years ago :( ) I did a number of canoe trips, they were always a blast!

Since then, my canoeing is limited to just the occasional fishing trip. My recent report with Tom H. was all from the back of his Canoe - not sure of teh brand, but it a molded plastic job and really comfortable and light

Leib16 has a huga canoe named "Sweetness" with a trolling motor. I am sure he will chime in

I have a Discovery 156k... haven't used it in a while, but I'm planning a trip with a new buddy of mine who also loves canoeing. Did alot in my younger days, some whitewater too. Having a young family (1yr old) and a preg mamma who is due in Nov. has put a damper on most all outdoor activities. Can't wait until the babies grow enough to take them out. :roll:

I haven't been in a canoe(yet), but I did have a kayak....which is probably one of my favorite things to do. Floating down the river, nothing to worry about but you and the fish. Had to sell my kayak a little bit back to fund my upcoming trip to Canada. Hoping to get something else before next spring. I'm seriously looking into one of the Old Town 111(Previously known as a "Kay-Noe" at Dicks Sporting Goods). It's 11'9"...nice wide stable platform...perfect for a single person craft....which is what I want.....don't have to worry about anyone but yourself. I liked my kayak, which was a SOT kind, but I think I will like the extra room and being able to move my legs around abit more in the canoe.

Bassboy, Next spring if I do get myself a canoe...We should get together and plan a float trip. I've been wanting to get down there to GA to try out a few of those rivers. Any of the rivers you fish have those beautiful "Shoalies"?

I'm looking for a used cheap stable canoe for my boys.I did a little canoeing when I was young.I prefer a long sea kayak and secluded lake.

after i upgrade to a bigger boat (hopefully soon) i'll be getting a canoe. theres wayyyyy to many awsome fishing rivers around here that are only accessable by floating down in a canoe, and hardly anybody does it. the fishing is amazing when you get out to no-mans land wich is fast becoming few and far between

:p
I've been canoeing most of my adult life. I'm now 49 years young! I use to love skiing behind motor boats but when it came to fishing small lakes a canoe was the only way to go.

I have a kayak and a canoe, I much prefer fishing from the canoe then the kayak, much more manageable. I love sweetness.

I ahve gone canoein with my friend and his uncle a lot in the elkhorn river and we go for the smallies there

Some friends and I go on a canoe trip every year on the Shenandoah River. It is a Friday to Sunday trip that is looked forward to every year. Here are some from last year
4808_1017512453791_1704536366_28069.jpg

4808_1017509933728_1704536366_28029.jpg

4808_1017511533768_1704536366_28046.jpg

bearsphan3.14 said:
Some friends and I go on a canoe trip every year on the Shenandoah River. It is a Friday to Sunday trip that is looked forward to every year. Here are some from last year

Small world... the Shenandoah is my stomping grounds. Where do you launch from?

A few miles up from Compton Rapids. We do trips with Downriver Outfitters. Great group of people. The first picture is the camp ground (right below Compton). We set up there on Friday, canoe down to it Saturday, launch from there Sunday. Does not get much better.

Downriver Canoe Company out of Bentonville? If so, that is only about five miles from my home.

Compton's Rapids is the only whitewater along the Southfork of the Shenandoah. I'm glad you guys are able to enjoy your time here. Its definitely a beautiful float.

Yea, out of Bentonville. And float is about what we do. Sit back, have a brew and take in the scenery. There is more paddling on sunday

Latest posts