Carpet Removal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoody

Reaction score
I started removing the old carpet from my project boat, it was just on the bench seats, I plan to span my front deck pass my center bench seat (wood laying on the bench) do I need to remove the dried adhesive first? I don't think it will matter but wanted to make sure. I'll get a photo this evening if needed. Thanks

if you are laying the deck on it it would not have to be removed but if you are carpeting over the adhesive you would have to remove it

Not to hijack the thread but I have a related question.

I remember reading somewhere that removing carpeting and adhesive from aluminum is a real pain. Can anyone give me firsthand experience? What did you use?

canis521 said:
Not to hijack the thread but I have a related question.

I remember reading somewhere that removing carpeting and adhesive from aluminum is a real pain. Can anyone give me firsthand experience? What did you use?

It can be.If it's old and brittle it can be chipped off with a putty knife.Some of it has to be ground off or use a wire wheel on a drill.On fast spinning tools like a side grinder you have to be careful not to grind the hull.Also be careful and don't get the old glue to hot.It will put off fumes and sometimes will become sticky again.

Knarly wire brush. I have always used a grinder, but I can see where a drill would be better, as it does heat up, and try to get sticky again.

I've tried using a drill and wire wheel on my project. It is painfully slow going. Too slow... Anybody know of any solvents that might make the job easier?

Cheeseball said:
I've tried using a drill and wire wheel on my project. It is painfully slow going. Too slow... Anybody know of any solvents that might make the job easier?

I have used 3M adhesive remover.It is found at most auto parts and auto paint stores.It's just a few dollars.It can be slow but it's less work.I did a pontoon with it,1 of few with an aluminum deck.I worked in the shade and soaked the area.I also soaked a cloth to help wipe away residue as I scraped with a stiff plastic putty knife.

When I removed the carpet from my boat, I took a box cutter and cut sections in the old carpet. Then I took a putty knife and introduced it to a wheel grinder the sharpen in the edge. When removing the carpet, I got the lip of the sections I cut and just pulled upwards and worked the putty knife under them. It wasn't a real hard job, but not easy either. It just takes time, and there are many different ways people do it. Just have to find the one that works the best for you. The old adhesive was more difficult than the carpet IMO.