caught 6 catfish....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jyphotography

Reaction score
landed none!

every time I had one my **** line snapped! I am definitely putting heavier tested line on!

It's not all about heavy test line. Make sure your drag is adjusted correctly. I've landed lots of good size fish on 6 and 8 lb test. I've landed several 4-5 lb smallies on 6 lb test. One of my biggest was a 40 inch musky on 8 lb 3 years ago.

Hang in there, you'll get 'em next time.
:beer:

Andy said:
It's not all about heavy test line. Make sure your drag is adjusted correctly. I've landed lots of good size fish on 6 and 8 lb test. I've landed several 4-5 lb smallies on 6 lb test. One of my biggest was a 40 inch musky on 8 lb 3 years ago.

I think the problem was I had to pull them out of the water over a small fence. I tried to take my time but as soon as they were out of the water..snap!

If I would have had a bank I am sure they would have been landed!

Jyphotography said:
Andy said:

I think the problem was I had to pull them out of the water over a small fence. I tried to take my time but as soon as they were out of the water..snap!

If I would have had a bank I am sure they would have been landed!

That will do it each time. :evil:

Funny I was reading the post as they go and I said "get a net".
Don't want to repeat though,way to get out there.

I caught one lastnight in Allatoona. About 5 lbs..I have a question though.. For those that keep their fish for eating. If you catch a cat at night, how would you keep it to prepare it the next day? Would you pack it on ice until the next morning?

Put the fish on ice, clean it that night when you get home or put them in a tub of water. Catfish are pretty hardy animals so long as the water is clean and not overly chlorinated.

Jyphotography said:
Ok it's been in water since lastnight. Do you think it's still ok

Is it still swimming?

I think Quackr was referring to keeping it alive in water overnight.

Ahh I see. No I don't think he is, ugh! Ok so when I get home clean it put it on ice the fillet it in morning, or just fillet it the night before. If it's to late keep it alive until next morning... Crap that makes me a murderer with a stinky garbage can!

Jyphotography said:
Ahh I see. No I don't think he is, ugh! Ok so when I get home clean it put it on ice the fillet it in morning, or just fillet it the night before. If it's to late keep it alive until next morning... Crap that makes me a murderer with a stinky garbage can!

Lol, Now you know! If any fish is stinky before cleaning, I aint eatin it!

Next time you plan on keeping some fish, bring some ice with you. If you catch one you want to eat, take your filet knife and put it through his head/brain. That way he won't asphixiate and taint the meat, then put him on ice in your cooler. Depending on where you are, you may choose to go ahead and gut him/remove the gills or head as long as your not to busy reeling in another one. That way when you get home, there's not much left to do, and as long as you keep the fish on ice, it will be fresh. Fresh fish should not have much of an odor.

Stinky fish makes good fertilizer (as long as you don't have to smell it) :lol:

Knife threw the head...asphixiate...won't taint meat???
Never heard that one before.
Cleaning them sure,put it on ice and if you can get some well water,without chlorine it be great.

Jyphotography said:

Bet you're going to be popular with the neighborhood cats :)

Congrats on the catch!! I'm not much for catching cats, but occasionally run across a channel cat that can't resist my spinnerbait and I tell ya, those things pull like a freight train.

poolie said:
Jyphotography said:

Bet you're going to be popular with the neighborhood cats :)

Congrats on the catch!! I'm not much for catching cats, but occasionally run across a channel cat that can't resist my spinnerbait and I tell ya, those things pull like a freight train.

I am almost certain once I learn to catch the bass, I will leave the cat alone!

Zum said:
Knife threw the head...asphixiate...won't taint meat???
Never heard that one before.
Cleaning them sure,put it on ice and if you can get some well water,without chlorine it be great.

Glad I could educate you :wink: even if I mispelled asphyxiate.

Here's a little more on it....

https://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/salt/freshfish.htm

And this article points out using an Iki Stick to (spike) the fish at the moment it is caught. A filet knife can be used for double duty though, and I'm all about tools that can multi-task :D .

I guess if you want the biology of how a fish dying by suffocation affects the meat via the release of enzymes etc...., you'll have to ask someone smarter than I, but I suspect it's more important with some species of fish than others.

Here's another read which explains the process nicely.

https://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/general/icecold.htm

One of my fishing buddies is an executive chef and he is the one who told me what the minimum requirements are to be called "fresh" in his resturaunt. I'll take his word for it.

Latest posts