CHADILLAC'S 1648 LOWE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHADILLAC

Reaction score
Time to get this project up on the Board. I fixed up a 14' Monark last year I just striped and painted it, added a trolling motor. It was basic but we did alright in it. This year I found a jem on Craigslist. Its a 1648 LoweLine built in the mid 70's I think? Its a much larger platform to work with. I wanted to go bigger beacuse my Grandfather aka my fissing buddy can get in and out of the boat more easy. Also we both are looking forward to having more room and fish bigger water. I have alot of work ahead of me. The transom cap was cut off by who ever had the boat before me as well as leaky rivets. It needs a new bow eye and some other weilding. Once I get all of that fixed I will be working of striping the boat down and steelflexing the outside. The plans and daydreams go on and on. Here are some pics of the day i got it.

Attachments

• JUSTGOT HOME.jpg
    JUSTGOT HOME.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 1,998
  • 100MEDIA_IMAG0364.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0364.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 1,998
  • BACK TRANSOM.jpg
    BACK TRANSOM.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 1,998
  • OUCH! BOW EYE.jpg
    OUCH! BOW EYE.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 1,998
Got a lil more work done tonight got back to my computer to find i never posted the 1st post well here are some more pics of the transom work. I got the rear bench seat out and disassembled ther rear supports. Then hit the paint with the wheel.

Attachments

• P1010706.JPG
    P1010706.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,985
  • P1010700.JPG
    P1010700.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 1,985
  • P1010703.JPG
    P1010703.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,985
  • P1010698.JPG
    P1010698.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,985
  • P1010699.JPG
    P1010699.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,984
Looking good. I am working on a similar boat. Mine had a lot of work to do too, but the boat is a great size which makes it worth it in the end. At least your transom is in pretty good shape. Mine was a mess. Good luck with your build. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

The transom is pitted pretty badly. All I can think to do is prep the metal extremely well and put on a few extra coats of self etching primer. Any comments or suggestions for my boat are more than welcome. My goal for the next week will be to get the boat completely ready for wielding and find someone to wield it that won’t charge me an arm and a leg. After it’s wielded up tight I will work on getting a rivet tip for my air hammer and some good solid rivets. Is there a place to buy just the tip and a verity pack of solid rivets?

Looks good man. You can patch some of the pits with some bondo or JB weld if you wish. Looks like the previous owner did a number on the rear seat.

Chadillac,
The very first picture of the hold at the seam...Is this the front of the boat? I am looking at a boat right now very similar to yours. Do you plan on welding this? On the boat I am looking at, it has the saem exact issue. I beleive this is due to pressure on the boat being cranked down on the trailor for years. BTW boat looks nice and look forward to your progress.

COY
Yes that is the bow of the boat in the 1st photo. I plan on removing the poorly done patch job and have someone wielding it up tight. I will also remove the broken bolt on bow eye and replace it with a wield on one I bought from Twins Recreation online. It’s a Sea Dog Line product and was around 4 bucks I figure I won’t ever have to worry about it again after that.

Attachments

• bow eye.jpg
    bow eye.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,861
CHADILLAC said:
COY
Yes that is the bow of the boat in the 1st photo. I plan on removing the poorly done patch job and have someone wielding it up tight. I will also remove the broken bolt on bow eye and replace it with a wield on one I bought from Twins Recreation online. It’s a Sea Dog Line product and was around 4 bucks I figure I won’t ever have to worry about it again after that.
Have the bow eye welded to a piece of aluminum plate and have that bolted to the bow with a large backing plate.

Thanks for the tip on the mounting plate for the bow eye. I was pondering how to reinforce it. What gage aluminum should i try to get im thinking of getting a piece to cover that entire section of the bow.

CHADILLAC said:
COY

I may be showing my ignorance here. But when you ray "removing" what do you mean? Will you cut out the entire section and have someone weld a patch in? Anyways, thanks for the first reply and keep posting pictures. I am going to watch this modification closely.

I have been pondering different ways to redo the bow and transom. The current patch job on the bow is something resembling 10 tubes of JB Wield. I just plan to hit it with the wire brush wheel on my drill. Then have someone wield up the crack. Then I was wondering what gage aluminum I should get to go over the entire panel. Just make the bow and transom 2 sandwiched layers of aluminum riveted and wielded together. Then have the bow eye wielded to the outside layer. I didn’t realize how hard it is to illustrate something I have created in my mind into words hope I haven’t confused anyone. I’m hoping to be able make something up in paint to help illustrate.

I want to reinforce the bow and transom of my boat. I was considering just placing a sheet of aluminum diamond plate over the existing aluminum and having it wielded around. Basically dubble the thickness and covering dents and cracks underneath. What gage aluminum should I use? Or is this a bad idea?

I'm not sure what to say here. Actually, I have kind of the same issue, but it's due to the fact that the previous owner didn't realize that the boat wasn't rated for tornadic weather and the dock was harder than the boat. Mine is repairable, but am wondering about completely replacing front panel for appearance more than function. If it's solid and you don't care how it looks, I say go with it. If appearance matters, plate it. Just make sure it is welded water tight by someone who can do it right.

CHADILLAC said:
I want to reinforce the bow and transom of my boat. I was considering just placing a sheet of aluminum diamond plate over the existing aluminum and having it wielded around. Basically dubble the thickness and covering dents and cracks underneath. What gage aluminum should I use? Or is this a bad idea?

I am not sure what to say here either. I would appreciate some input from someone who has experience in welding aluminum, as I am looking at a boat with the same issue. Any info is appreciated.

I have a 78 Lowe I am working on. I cut out a new transom and I am using rivets for supports to connect the old transom, new transom, and bracing. I am going to have the new transom welded around the edges. I am going to post pics later this week of the welding. I'll be watching to see how your boat turns out. Good luck!