Charging

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spes

Reaction score
Hello,
The guy I bought my tin off of put an armstrong plug on the 24V trolling motor and the batteries.
plug.jpg

He also put a plug on a charger. Which made it easy to re charge the batteries... just unplug the trolling motor, plug in the charger.
Neat setup.

Then I realized that there is no breaker in this setup.
Not a neat idea.
So,, I would like to add a Marpac 50 amp Inline circuit breaker with manual reset button.
Breaker.jpg

My question is,,, when I unplug the trolling motor and plug in the charger,,, will it charge THRU the breaker?
Or do I need to install the breaker on the trolling motor side of the armstrong plug?

Thanks,,,

I have tried scenario like you said using a smart charger it just kept reading "error". I believe with the resistance added from connections and breaker may add it could affect sensing circuits of charger and not properly sense the battery's charge level. thus possibly under or over charging battery. I had wires soldered to all connections.
I took same charger, solder clips back on charger worked just fine again.

A new circuit breaker as well as properly done connections will offer no resistance to the charging curcuit and should not generate any kind of sensing fault with a charger. People charge through circuit breakers all the time. C/Bs do go bad and develop high resistance that can cause problems. An ohmeter will tell you if you have a resistance issue anywhere.
Another possibility for a problem is if you are using a battery isolator, which I think would be unlikely on a fishing boat, it will give you about a 1V drop across it. That would give you chronically undercharged batteries if your charger wasn't sensing at the batteries.

Latest posts