Cheapest battery for my needs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Taylor

Reaction score
I need a cheap battery just for my running lights and bilge pump. Would a tractor battery be the cheapest? Walmart has them for $25. Thanks.

If all you plan to run off that battery is the bilge pump and running lights, it should be fine with a lawn tractor battery.

Thanks. The bilge pump I almost never use. The terminals are flat(sticking upright) with a small hole in the middle. Would I just use a bolt and nut to secure the connections?

The yellow spade connectors should fit perfect on a lawn and garden battery, just make not of positive and negative and mark them prior to crimping.

Andy Taylor said:
Thanks. The bilge pump I almost never use. The terminals are flat(sticking upright) with a small hole in the middle. Would I just use a bolt and nut to secure the connections?
Just be sure to get some stainless or brass bolts/nuts/washers or corrosion will be a big issue.

hi Andy Taylor , when it comes to batteries I found that some times cheap is not best. in my 10' jon boat I use a agm motor cycle battery.
it is not the best fix, and it dose work for my fish finder. but you need to look at amp draw and how long you need it for,
and take in to account length of run . and I would know cheap batteries as a guy I know who owns a scrap yard gave me a few to try.
so I could try to save a buck. I went through 6 of them befor I got this one.
I hope this helps you in some small way.