CMC trim unit repair - BIG $$$

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caver101

Reaction score
I bought my weldbuilt boat used with a CMC trim unit already installed. Its the small unit rated up to a 35hp motor. The boat has a 1982 25hp evinrude, very light motor.

The motor went out a couple weeks ago. Took the unit off and called CMC to order parts.... REPAIR PARTS ARE NO LONGER SOLD (even tho they show them on the website and in the owners manual). You have to buy the unit as a whole, $289.99 for a referbished unit with 90 day warranty or $399 for a new unit with 1 year warranty. They will offer a $50 core refund if you send in your old unit. They will not work on any unit older than one year old from date of purchase. I was not very happy with that policy, but the guy I talked to at CMC was very nice about it. He said I may be able to salvage the unit and told me to take it to a local electric motor company. He said there may be a chance to rebuild the motor. So I took it to a local elec motor company. They can do it, but its costly.... They advised me to just buy the refurbished unit.

Water got into my unit and shorted out the armature and burnt everything up inside. I am pretty anal about keeping a close check on things. I monitor the oil level close and never once found water in the oil reservoir. The water was contained in the electric motor assembly and was undetectable unless you removed the black cap that holds the motor in place.....if you remove that cap you run the risk of not getting a water tight seal again. There are two "O" rings, one large and one very small. The small one is very thin and easily broken. I broke it when removing the black cap after the unit went bad and I was being very careful.

So for anybody looking at the CMC trim units....they work well when they are working well...When they go bad get out your checkbook, lol.

Sorry to get a little off topic but it seems like your post was more to inform than to have a question answered....

I recently bought a used Panther 135 electric tirm / tilt unit ($375.00 off of Craigslist). He said the only reason he was selling was due to his new motor had trim /tilt on the motor. When I went to look at it the guy had it hooked up to a battery to confirm the unit worked. I came with an extra motor. The guy climed he originally had it hooked up wrong and thought he had a bad motor so he ordered a new one, installed it and it did not work. Then changed the wiring and it worked. He said the new motor was about $90.00. The "135" model means it is good up to 135 HP mmotor. I will be using it for a 45 hp. Mrec. My questions...

Is anybody out there familiar with the Panther Units? Thoughts, pro and con..???

Thanks..

Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman said:
Sorry to get a little off topic but it seems like your post was more to inform than to have a question answered....

Yep. This is the general boating discussion area, seemed like an appropriate place to put it.

Wow.

I wouldn't have figured that out of the CMC units with the reputation (maybe previous) that they have.

Can you find a manufacturer on the motor to see if you can just find a new motor without going through CMC?

I recently had the opportunity to buy a CMC breakaway unit for my 90hp Merc. at a fantastic price but with the additional offset, my custom cover wouldn't fit my boat anymore. :(

Yep. This is the general boating discussion area, seemed like an appropriate place to put it.

I meant I was sorry for changing the topic of your original post....Maybe I will post my question in a new topic..might get more replies....

Also...

If your cover will not fit anymore...maybe you could have the motor cover cut from the boat cover, both re-sewed so you would have a boat cover and a seperate (matching) motor cover..

Outdoorsman.

Yea, I was a little shocked as well.

I mean in CMC's defense I have no idea what the history of my unit is. I know it has been well cared for while I have had it. But I have used it on some single digit mornings duck hunting and I am wondering if some water got in around the seals and froze giving it a slow leak.

There are zero markings on the motor. Someone is making proprietary parts for them, mainly that black motor cover where the springs, brushes and wiring is at.

I'd check for numbers on the old motor / gearbox assy. and do a Google search, you may be surprised what comes up.

there are no numbers on anything or a gearbox of any type. The housing for the motor is the aluminum shell. I need to take some photos before I ship the old unit back. CMC did a heck of a job when they engineered this little setup. Lots and I mean LOTS of machine work went into building it.

Outdoorsman said:
If your cover will not fit anymore...maybe you could have the motor cover cut from the boat cover, both re-sewed so you would have a boat cover and a seperate (matching) motor cover..

The cover has to be all one piece as I have no splash well that would catch water and drain out ahead of the motor. The cables/hoses going into the motor and the steering makes a void that can't be covered and exposes a hole straight to the bilge area. My batteries, onboard charger and pumps are all in that area that would be somewhat exposed.

I originally bought a much cheaper 2 piece cover and figured out as soon as I put it on that it was going to be a problem.

It sits outside 24/7/365 now so I needed something that would cover it from one end to the other. Because of how it is custom fitted (even around the motor), it would take some pretty serious alteration to allow for an additional 6" of setback.