Console placement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arovito

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Tony and I'm a long time reader first time poster. I have a 1996 StarCraft camp 14 that I need some help with. At the moment I have a 2 stroke Mercury 30 HP tiller hung on the back of it, it runs great and I don't really have any complaints about it. I love tiller steer motors to me it's a whole different feeling driving back there than from a steering wheel. However I just came into a nice 25 HP Evinrude that is set up for a console controls and steering wheel. The decision on whether to stay with my tiller or transfer over to a console is one that's plagued me for awhile and I'm not sure if any input would really help unfortunately. But the question I do have is if I was to switch over and put a console in where is the best placement? I've seen other StarCrafts with the console and seats near the back but other brands like Lund have their console up near the front. Is there a best location for weight dispersement and planing performance in your experiences? I have no problems now with getting up on plane driving the tiller from the back so I assume it would be fine but figured I'd reach out for any input. I've attached some pictures to show the current layout.

Attachments

• 65A867AE-76C5-4B95-87AC-A4A951157248.jpeg
    65A867AE-76C5-4B95-87AC-A4A951157248.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 1
  • B0CE62CC-7547-41ED-8352-2A9609EB26B5.jpeg
    B0CE62CC-7547-41ED-8352-2A9609EB26B5.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to Tin Boats. :)

Yes, moving weight forward will help get on plane quicker and will have less bow rise. It may also lower your top speed, because more of the hull will be in the water. In choppy water the ride at the console will be rougher than at the transom.

From a performance perspective, hard to gauge the ideal location, given unknown performance of the Evinrude, your normal load and placement, and water conditions. From an ease of use, a side console and seat in the middle of your open space is probably best. Making sure you have enough room for and aft of it. Just be sure you want to give up that nice open space you have now. ;)

I agree with what FuzzyGrub says about taking up that open space. If you want a side console, the pic below seems a logical place to put one. I have no idea how much having the helm there would impact the boat's trim, but suspect it would. I also attached a pic of a console made of tubing. It is used in an inflatable, but the concept could apply to a small tin boat. Something like that attached to the bench/side might save some room, but no storage.

REMOTE.jpgBent TUBE.jpg

I have the side console version of that boat, a '95 14 foot Superfisherman. Maybe this pic can help you see how it was placed from the factory.

IMG_4700-L.jpg

I have the side console version of that boat, a '95 14 foot Superfisherman. Maybe this pic can help you see how it was placed from the factory.

IMG_4700-L.jpg

The space available looked like allot more in the other pictures. Probably can't go wrong with putting the console like what was available from the factory.

Thank you guys for the responses! I was hoping someone might have the factory side console version so that's great thank you Jethro. Is that console pushed up against the front bench or is there a small space there? If I go for it I'll probably try to match that bit I'm still unsure if I want to switch over like you guys pointed out all that open space sure is nice for fishing and the recreational lobstering I do.

Thank you guys for the responses! I was hoping someone might have the factory side console version so that's great thank you Jethro. Is that console pushed up against the front bench or is there a small space there? If I go for it I'll probably try to match that bit I'm still unsure if I want to switch over like you guys pointed out all that open space sure is nice for fishing and the recreational lobstering I do.

Here's a view that shows the console placement from the front.

Boat%20interior-L.jpg

Look into a stick steer. No console required, still uses remote controls. Can pretty much put the steering box and throttle wherever you want.

I agree with what FuzzyGrub says about taking up that open space. If you want a side console, the pic below seems a logical place to put one. I have no idea how much having the helm there would impact the boat's trim, but suspect it would. I also attached a pic of a console made of tubing. It is used in an inflatable, but the concept could apply to a small tin boat. Something like that attached to the bench/side might save some room, but no storage.

View attachment 119856View attachment 119857
I have used this exact console in the past on a 12ft trihull skiff and loved it.

Look into a stick steer. No console required, still uses remote controls. Can pretty much put the steering box and throttle wherever you want.
I also have used stick steer I mounted to a cooler in the rear of the boat (doubled as a casting platform), could very well work for your setup if you create a platform on the rear. It was nice because the ENTIRE boat was basically wide open.

Before you go with stick steer, see if you can drive one first. I had one and absolutely HATE stick steering. The longer you have, the better it gets, but it's still not like having a wheel. I agree with the above that a small side console is the best way to go for remote steering

@thill is right on that. It took me some getting used to. I didnt love the action either, but it really did open the boat up.

Seen a side console on youtube that swings away, pretty cool. Its usable when its off to the side as well...ganat swing away console...pretty sure thats the name.

Before you go with stick steer, see if you can drive one first. I had one and absolutely HATE stick steering. The longer you have, the better it gets, but it's still not like having a wheel. I agree with the above that a small side console is the best way to go for remote steering

I've always wondered that. I troll at very slow speeds and the boat can go sideways very quickly at 1.2mph. I don't think I would enjoy stick steering even though I would love the space.

Seen a side console on youtube that swings away, pretty cool. Its usable when its off to the side as well...ganat swing away console...pretty sure thats the name.
Just googled that, awesome looking product!

Now THAT is an interesting concept. I could fabricate something like that. The steering wheel and cable wouldn't change, so you could use it when stowed. Interesting concept!

Now THAT is an interesting concept. I could fabricate something like that. The steering wheel and cable wouldn't change, so you could use it when stowed. Interesting concept!

Agree. I like it!

It needs a windshield though, to collect all the stuff from a days outing. ;)