Controlling Transom Trolling Motors With A Wired-In Switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootandfish1

Reaction score
Hi Folks, Please bear with me, this is long, and no, I am not 'high', just thinking.

Several people are running multiple trolling motors, usually 1 or 2 transom mounts on the stern and steering with a bow mounted TM. Assuming only 1 person in the boat, the transom mounted motors are locked to steer straight, an appropriate speed chosen (1-5), and the rear TM's are simply turned on/off as needed, a 'Big Foot' floor switch has been commonly mentioned. OK, so far?

The idea of having TM's in the stern and steering with a bow mounted TM is good and I very well may go that route, but I've came up with another approach.

Consider the basic Minn Kota Endura C2 or Motorguide R3 Transom Mount TM, Both have 5 sp. and available with a 55 lb thrust, about $225-230 at Walmart/Amazon.

My scheme would place 2 TM's on transom, as far apart as possible and NOT have a TM in the bow (but control and steer from the bow or anywhere in the boat). I like the idea of an uncluttered deck , eventually may try bowfishing and flyfishing.

Start and stop are no problem, but how to steer? Knowing that reversing the (+) and (-) wires, a simple electric motor will rotate in the opposite direction and with enough circuits and switches using the basic, 'old-school' 5 sp Minn Kota or Motorguide TM (fairly certain that this would not be a good idea with the newer digital TM's), one could set the speed, then by using separate circuits and switches for each TM, and have ---

Left and Right TM's both forward (thus, doubling the thurst for the selected speed) or both reversing,

Minor course correction would be by leaving one motor on and turning one off. Example-to nudge to the right, leave the left TM moving forward and turn off the right TM for a few seconds before switching back to forward.

Sharper turns would be the same, but engaging reverse of either one of the TM's. Example-A hard right would be by leaving the left TM moving forward, switch the right TM off,then switch to reverse for a few seconds before back to 'off', then back to 'forward'. Just like a skid steer or a tracked vehicle.

I had figured out how to accomplish this using 2 'on'-'off'-'on' toggle switches and 8 solenoids (and lots of wire).

Then I came across a 'Forward & Reverse Relay Module' made by Cole Hersee, Part 24452. Hope the link works.

https://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/198/24452/

This relay makes the design stupidly simple, is rated at 50 Amps continous or 70 Amps intermittent (5 min. max), 25,000 cycles, and is relatively CHEAP, $40-60 per. So, for a cost of 2 TM's at $230, plus, say $50 per relay, and say $10 per 'on'-'off'-'on' toggle switch-

230x2 + 50x2 +10x2 = $580ish plus wire,

I could have up to 110 lb thrust trolling motor set-up, a clear bow deck, and control from the bow (or anyplace in the boat). A side perk is that the relay minimizes the amount of heavy wire required. 3 strands of 14-16 ga. are needed for each switch (length depends on how far away from 12 volt one wants to be and still control the TM's).

Cons are that running 2-55 lb TM's at 12 volts is not very efficient, but for my use, I'm thinking most of the time, speed 1,2,or3 would be used, (not sure if have a TM set on speed 5 (forward), then reversing is a good idea). One could always set the toggles switches in the 'forward' position and operate the TM's in the usual manner for a run across the lake. Extra battery(s) or a generator/charger most likely would need over using a single 24 or 36 volt TM.

I'm wore out from typing, Guys, what do you all think? Doable?, Practicable? Kill a TM in short order? Blast Away!!!

Fred

Certainly sounds technically feasible.......however....
My experiences in trying to steer a boat, and fish, with a stern mounted trolling motor have all been terrible.

Perhaps it was my lack of attention, or a slight breeze, or some moving current...,I found I spent far too much time messing with the motor and the steering, than I did fishing.

Perhaps, if I was just running from point A to point B, (or did a lot of trolling) and.... I was holding on to the TM tiller at all times, I might get across a pond. For fishing, forget it.

And that was with just a simple single stern-mounted TM.

There is a reason that millions of fishing boats have bow mounted trolling motors. it is far easier to drag a boat in the direction that you want to go, than it is to push the same boat accurately in one direction.

So, I think your idea shows great technical planning, and would probably work.... (though the steering would be slow compared to a bow mounted TM)....

I wouldn't spend my time on it, assuming you'd rather fish than create a new mechanical/electrical device.

This comment is from an old tinkerer, who, on some days, WOULD rather create than fish.

regards, richg99

I started to do internet searches on steering boats with twin screws. Man you can't believe all the info out there. One mentioned the use of a joy stick. If you were going to try to put together the system you described would it be possible to control such a system with a joy stick?

I also found a very thorough discussion about steering and the affect of the prop forces on steering. It's complicated but really interesting to read.

https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/007691.html

Thanks for replying. I should add that I have zero experience with trolling motors, only my second season of being a boat owner, a SeaArk 2072 with a 115 Yamaha.

'Armchair' engineering can only go so far before real world 'trial and error' experiences are needed.

When I discovered the 'Forward and Reverse' relay and realized how simple my scheme (and CHEAP) could be, I was hoping for some notion of whether this idea was practical. No need to reinvent a 'square' wheel.

Back tracking-For those using a transom mount TM for additional thrust and steering with a bow mounted TM, am I correct that the rear TM needs to be a manual model, set a speed 1-5, controlling 'off-on' with a separate switch, (like using the 'Big Foot' actuating a relay)? I'm assuming that this is not possible with a digital TM.

Fred