convert johnson 48 spl to tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl60446

Reaction score
I have a 1989 johnson 48 spl with remote control / console. Outboard runs good but I always wish it were a tiller. Saw a tiller on ebay other day for $125 but only had 20 minutes left so I did not buy it. In any case, remote control works good but having a tiller would free up space in my boat, ditch the console, gauges do not work anyway. My boat has a low deck with a offset to the right pedestal seat in back so would work with a tiller.

So the question is. How hard is it to convert to a tiller? Do I need a key start or just a button, primer switch, stop switch. Gear shift is integrated into tiller arm I think. Anybody done this?

Tim

Pappy said:
Why not go with stick steer?
That saves a huge amount of space and retains the remote control.
Well I did not think of that, never have seen one in person, certainly do not have any experience with it. I will have to do some searches and see what I might be getting into. I guess I could ditch the console and reuse the remote control if I got new shorter cables. I would have to relocate the remote control back by the rear pedestal seat.
Thanks Pappy
Tim

I converted my whaler to a tiller steer. I bought an aluminum bass boat with a 1999 40 HP mercury that was setup with a console. I wanted the aluminum boat to be set up all electric so I removed the console, engine and fuel tank. I then purchased a tiller arm and ignition switch from mercury for about $600. The conversion was very simple...the tiller arm bolted on and the ignition switch and choke plugged in. It was very simple and made the boat much more usable for the fishing I do.

The gear shift came with the tiller arm in the conversion kit but on the mercury it is not built in to the tiller arm. The gear shift bolts on and you connect the linkage. (very simple). The throttle linkage obviously comes out of the tiller arm and also is very easy to connect. I am sure your conversion would be similar.

Attachments

• tiller.jpg
    tiller.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,052

Latest posts