Cookies Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
OK, I now have a laptop after replacing the old PC which had the power supply fried. Old PC was XP, laptop is Vista (if it makes a difference). On my old PC, I could open a folder containing cookies, and delete only selected ones, and not have to go through the hassle of logging back in to the forums I belong to.

I can't seem to find any such folder on the new laptop, and just have to delete all cookies, and have to log back into to the forums & email(s). Is there a way to only delete selected cookies now, or am I just stuck deleting them all? Bad think about surfing.....all the stinking cookies......

Thanks
ST

Well seeing as I'm here and all, in vista the cookies are stored in two spots

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies.

where xxx is your user name. Hope it helps.

Thanks, but where would I copy & paste that info into to search? I'm internetally-challanged #-o

ST

Hrmmm, you're using IE, right?

How to manually verify that the cookie files are deleted in Internet Explorer 7
  1. Exit Internet Explorer 7, and then exit any instances of Windows Explorer.
  2. Click Start, click Run, type inetcpl.cpl, and then press ENTER.
  3. In the Internet Properties dialog box, on the General tab, click Settings under Browsing History.
  4. In the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings dialog box, click View Files. This opens the folder where your cookie files are stored.
  5. In the folder that you opened in step 4, delete the .txt files associated with those you want to delete.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835

Firefox allows you to delete only those cookies you want from within the "tools" option of FF.

Yes, I'm using IE. I'm not having a problem deleting cookies, I'm just wanting to delete selected ones. I want to keep the ones for the forums, and just delete others from outside sites I visit, say like Craigslist, Feebay, or any other places I go outside of my regular forums.

I used Mozilla FF on my last computer, basically was forced into it, as it pretty much stopped working until I downloaded it (FF), but even before that I was able to look in my C-drive, open a cookies folder, and delete selected cookies.

Thanks
ST

SlimeTime said:
Thanks, but where would I copy & paste that info into to search? I'm internetally-challanged #-o

ST

Try this...

Copy one location from above and then go to your desktop, right click and select New>Shortcut. Follow the prompts and paste the location you just copied into the location box for the new shortcut and name it for the folder it points to. Repeat for the second location.

I run XP and keep shortcuts for Disk Cleanup and the Temporary Internet folder pinned to my Start menu.

HTH :)

Here's a screenshot of the first window.....

Attachments

• Temp Internet Shortcut.JPG
    Temp Internet Shortcut.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,587
Thanks Doc, but I understand little (more like none) of what you said (I was serious when I said I don't understand computers #-o ). What good will a shortcut do though, if the final destination doesn't allow me to deleted only selected cookies?

Thanks
ST

The shortcut you create will bring you to the cookie section (from the desktop) without having to click your way through a bunch of folders each and every time you want to go to your cookies.

lol, OK, but I can't get to any folder that allows me to delete selected cookies.......that's been my question all along here. Forget a shortcut........I'm looking for the destination.

ST

SlimeTime said:
lol, OK, but I can't get to any folder that allows me to delete selected cookies.......that's been my question all along here. Forget a shortcut........I'm looking for the destination.

ST

I'd draw you a map, but that would just confuse you more. :wink:

The shortcut will take you to the destination !!! Once there you can delete any file in the folder or leave the ones you want to keep.

The folders you are looking for are the bold ones at the end of the file paths that were posted.

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

Is that any more clear ??

BTW - the xxx in the file path is where you remove the x's and type in your user name.

DocWatson said:
I'd draw you a map, but that would just confuse you more. :wink:

The shortcut will take you to the destination !!! Once there you can delete any file in the folder or leave the ones you want to keep.

The folders you are looking for are the bold ones at the end of the file paths that were posted.

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

Is that any more clear ??

BTW - the xxx in the file path is where you remove the x's and type in your user name.

lol....I don't think that's possible Doc #-o :mrgreen:

OK, where do I copy & paste either of the links to (after correcting the XXX's)?

If I do a search in my computer for "cookies" it shows me a folder, but when I click on it it says "access denied". Will a hammer help :p

Jim, I doubt this laptop has much memory, so I'm trying to keep it to a minimum. I deleted the games & other stuff I wouldn't use from it in hopes of making a little extra space.

ST

Go back to my original post with the screenshot. That "Create Shortcut" window will come up when you right click on your desktop and select New>Shortcut from the menu. You paste the copied address in the small area next to the word Browse, click Next and then give it a name like Cookies or Temporary Internet Files and follow the prompts out. You should now have a shortcut on your desktop that will take you right to the folder with all those cookies you want to crunch.

OK, Got that to work, but it doesn't show "all" cookies, including those which should belong to the forums I belong to.

Thanks!
ST

SlimeTime said:
OK, Got that to work, but it doesn't show "all" cookies, including those which should belong to the forums I belong to.

Thanks!
ST

Did you make a shortcut to each of the locations mentioned ??

DocWatson said:
SlimeTime said:

Thanks!
ST

Did you make a shortcut to each of the locations mentioned ??

Yes....I think it's easier to just delete all the cookies & re-enter my passwords than try & figure this out :|

ST

Latest posts