Couple trolling motor wiring questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

authentic

Reaction score
I need to run cable from my 24v trolling motor in the front, all the way to my batteries, in the back I've got 4 ga that will run from the batteries to the circuit breaker and busbar post.

1 - What size is the battery cable on a MinnKota Maxxum? I think it's 8ga
2 - What size cable should I run from the breaker and post? I've got extra 4ga
3 - Can I just splice the cable from the motor to the bigger cable to make the long run to the back?

We are getting ready to get all of this mounted, so I'm thinking it might be a good idea for me to figure out what I'm doing.

authentic said:
I need to run cable from my 24v trolling motor in the front, all the way to my batteries, in the back I've got 4 ga that will run from the batteries to the circuit breaker and busbar post.

1 - What size is the battery cable on a MinnKota Maxxum? I think it's 8ga

Not sure but close to it

2 - What size cable should I run from the breaker and post? I've got extra 4ga

That should be fine

3 - Can I just splice the cable from the motor to the bigger cable to make the long run to the back?

I did, but russ had shown me something that you can use to connect the two for a cleaner connection. You could also install a plug as well

We are getting ready to get all of this mounted, so I'm thinking it might be a good idea for me to figure out what I'm doing.

authentic said:
I need to run cable from my 24v trolling motor in the front, all the way to my batteries, in the back I've got 4 ga that will run from the batteries to the circuit breaker and bus bar post.

1 - What size is the battery cable on a MinnKota Maxxum? I think it's 8GA
most motors have 8GA wire in them
2 - What size cable should I run from the breaker and post? I've got extra 4GA
I would use 6GA from the breaker to the trolling motor location if you have enough 4GA that will also work the longer the run the thicker the wire you want to use. My 21ft Triton came from the factory with 6GA wire
3 - Can I just splice the cable from the motor to the bigger cable to make the long run to the back? you can but...
I would use a trolling motor plug that way you can remove the motor and leave the long wire in the boat.

I'm not at home, but pretty sure I just have two wires off of my trolling motor.
Would this plug be good? https://www.iboats.com/Trolling-Mot...0226743--session_id.157071110--view_id.187309
along with the matching receptacle?

It says the 2 wire ones are for 12 volt though. and 3 wire for 24 volt. How's that work? I better go look at wires coming off of my motor. Where's the 3rd wire go to?

BTW, it's MinnKota Maxxum 74lb about 5 years old, if that would help anyone to help me figure this out.

Also, to splice the 8ga wires coming off of the receptacle to the 4 or 6ga wires running to the battery, do I just use a splice made for the bigger wire?