Crankin sticks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
I'm also looking into getting a cranking rod, my question is do I get a fiberglass rod or a graphite rod, I started reading up on them and it seem like the fiberglass rod has the parabolic bend to keep the trebles from ripping out, but than you loose the sensitivity of graphite, what do you think?

shamoo said:
I'm also looking into getting a cranking rod, my question is do I get a fiberglass rod or a graphite rod, I started reading up on them and it seem like the fiberglass rod has the parabolic bend to keep the trebles from ripping out, but than you loose the sensitivity of graphite, what do you think?

Who makes glass rods now?

I know carrot stick makes a casting rod with a "parabolic" action just for that reason. Nice and light and it has a parabolic bend.

https://www.deloscustomtackleshack.com/rods/e21_carrotstick.htm

I have 7 loomis cranking sticks and love them, they will give on the hook set and handle the fish when the surge and pull hard. the soft action on them allow the hooks to stay tight while the fight.

I know you are wondering why 7...
first off i bought 3 in different lengths and actions
then i picked one up for my wife she didn't like it so i had the add it to my collection she now has a loomis spinner bait rod.
then i had an accident on vacation ad broke 3 of the rods (caution if you have rods in the back of your pickup and also have a deep cycle battery in there be sure to tie the battery in place and avoid sharp turns) I had them replaced under warranty at a dealer on vacation and he let me keep the broken rods which i held for a year before using the expeditor service and replacing them for 50 each including shipping

Talked to a couple guys and they said the same thing as Mr. redbug, g-loomis is thee rod to get for craken, however I dont use crankbaits on a regular basis so I'm leaning towards a Powell Crank bait stick.

I know there arent too many companys doing the glass thing now adays but Lamiglas and Powell still make them and I was courious after reading up on them.

Thank-you gentlemen for your replies.

Most graphite rods designed for cranking have a taper that mimics glass.

The Loomis CBR series. The St. Croix M series (MM at the end instead of MF).

St. Croix has a glass stick that is quite nice. Lamiglas does as well. There are a couple of other blanks out there for custom only builds even.

If you don't really wanna spend a chunk on one, but still want a good rod....I personally would lean towards something like a St. Croix Premier Crankbait Rod. I don't see any need in spending the kinda money G. Loomis wants for their rods especially if its not something your gonna use alot. Like Mattman said about the St. Croix's, they have some that instead of having a fast tip, they have a moderate tip, which of course means they have more of a parabolic curve to them rather than just the very tip bending like a fast action. They run right around $100 bucks. Here is the link to them on Bass Pro's website if you wanna check them out.....

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74391_100002006_100000000_100002000_100-2-6

As for the Powell Rods, They may be just as good of a rod, I've just never heard alot about them, or not really familiar with how much they run price wise.

Ive been waitin a while to pick up a new crankin stick, personally im going with a loomis, mainly because i throw crankbaits a good amount and ive gotten my hands on one and really like it.

I have a St Croix Avid Crank stick 7 foot and love it to death... I am with bubba I don't see reason to spend that kind of money on a loomis I know it's only 50 bucks between the avid and the loomis But the only rods I like are St Croix, I do want to try lami's I have heard a lot of good things about them for the surf fishing groups..

thx
x

I am purchasing a G Loomis assoon as I sell my Diawa light and tough. I broke my 4th one in 2 months. Sent it back broke again, and again, and again. Time to upgrade. Its also a $100 rod. My buddy has me hooked on the G loomis though. All my other rods are all St. Croix. Not one complaint for them. Awesome rods.

Latest posts