crazy upgrade idea

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40 bucks and my carb just came in. Found it on clist gentleman was selling a lower unit and agreed to sell me carb if I would send a prepaid package. For 35 bucks u can't beat it

Order a carb kit so you can rebuild the carb, order an exhaust to power head gasket, and order a new rubber grommet for the copper water tube to go into and you are in business.

Gaskets ;kit and shims should be on their way. I should be getting everything by sometime this week.

Hi

So all my parts are in. Where do I start. The carb is not a prob. However the intake is my question do I need to drop my lower unit. And then get to the powerhead. Also the shims have a straight side and curved side does the curved side should face theflaps. Also where exactly iis the leaf plate.

Ok this has nothing to do with the intake. It is the exhaust that you need to do. You need to get the powerhead off to get to it so you will need to disconnect everything that needs to be disconnected in order to get the powerhead off. Once all is ready then remove the 6 powerhead bolts from underneath and lift the powerhead straight up. It will most likely be stuck to the midsection so you will have to tap it sideways or carefully pry a screwdriver between midsection and powerhead to break the gasket loose. once the gasket is broken loose lift the powerhead straight up until you can clear the midsection with the exhaust tube. The lower unit does not have to be removed.

This is a pic of my johnson 30hp powerhead off to give you an idea what I mean by removing the powerhead. I can't find my pics of when I did my 9.9 so this is the best I got.
DSCN6578.JPG

Hello.
So I finally got around to do my upgrade. Had a little trouble alinging my water tube. But I eventually got it going. Definately sounds louder. I have not taken her out to the water so I cant really tell how faster she is. I hope she does well with my prop. Which is 9 pitch .

czuniga said:
Hello.
So I finally got around to do my upgrade. Had a little trouble alinging my water tube. But I eventually got it going. Definately sounds louder. I have not taken her out to the water so I cant really tell how faster she is. I hope she does well with my prop. Which is 9 pitch .

You mean to tell us that you didn't take pictures of this mod? Shame on you! [-X

:LOL2: :LOL2:

Yes pics would have been nice so to help others in the future. Glad to hear you finished it. Yes it will be louder as we mentioned before. But that means extra horsepower :mrgreen: I guarantee you are going to notice the power difference in the last 1/4 turn of the throttle.

The 9 pitch may or may not work depending on the load you have in your boat. Now that you have a 15hp your recommended operating RPM range is now 5500-7000 instead of 5000-6000 with the 9.9 but I would stay around the 6250-6500 mark if I were you. My guess is you could go to a 10 pitch and get a little more speed out of your boat. Get a tach so you can make sure to have the correct prop for your NEW engine :D

Thanks for all the help and great ideas. Ill try a test run with my nine pitch and then ill try my 10 again. Ill let u guys know how it turns out. Yeah I was so carried away I forgot to take pics. But like you mentioned very easy to do.

I have a Mercury 1996 7.5 hp motor, is there a way to make this go faster? I am new to the boating world, but I am mechanically inclined just do not know to much about boat motors...yet :mrgreen:

I thought I remember seeing something about a merc 7.5 mod but I myself do not know enough about mercs to tell you what or if it can be done.....

Latest posts