Custom Tandem Axle for my 14'er

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at those axle less suspension units and while being really nice, the price is not haha. The boat pulled good before I did the jet conversion and afterwards, I have noticed that its very bouncy and seems all over the place for a second or two after a good bump. This could have been due to the worn out garbage tires that were on the trailer and now that they are replaced, it might be a different story. I have not seen the walking beam axle yet but will be looking into it. Thank you guys for the advise and input so far. I know this isn't needed and if I cant do it safe and without breaking the bank then I will do it. The 4 lug tires on the boat are around $30 at wal mart for the wheel and tire combo and with as much and how far I tow the boat, I wont be too worried about wearing tires out and having to replace them. Thanks again everyone.

After working on the boat for the past couple of days, I have realized that it in fact is not my suspension that is struggling with the added weight but its the tires. I have installed brand new tires and wheels (4 on 4) and I think I am pushing the load rating of them. I noticed they looked a bit squatty and so I got in the boat myself while watching them and they were not happy at all. So, at this point its either a larger tire/wheel combo or the tandem. I was thinking about making a walking beam which would allow me to keep my single axle and suspension but add two extra tires. I like the smaller tires since I usually launch at garbage, muddy boat ramps and it makes it a lot easier to load/unload the boat. The thing I am curious about is will the center hub which the walking beam attaches too hold up. Its not a solid axle so there will be no bind when turning but adding another tire on a walking beam would create some bind when turning sharp...so Im not really sure what to do at this point.

I will have to check when I get home from work. They are the pre mounted ones you can get at wal mart, home depot etc.

What's the weight of your boat, motor, trailer, fuel and the gear you normally have in the boat when trailering?

I haven't been able to weigh it just yet but am planning on taking it down to a local scale to find out. I do know that with the boat completely empty, in its original form, it took 3 guys to lift and flip it and it was a struggle to say the least. I remember reading somewhere that the boat weighs in around 400ish pounds but will have to double check that. So, with 400 lb boat-120 lb engine- 40 lb ski hull-approx 200 lb decking and flooring- 125 lb for full 16 gal fuel cell-40 lb battery...Id give it a guesstimation of around 925-1000 pounds when its all said and done.

And the weight of the trailer puts you close to if not over 1200 pounds. If the tires are 480x8 load range B they are rated at 590 pounds each 1180 pounds for the pair. You should go up to a load range C tire or higher.

Thanks for the information on the tires. I haven't really been able to get to the boat in the last few days but will definitely check them out. Thank you again.

After reading through the advise and information that I have had given to me on this thread so far, I have decided to hold off on a trailer build for now. I will be looking into a little heavier tire to help hold the new weight of the boat and gear and just start gearing up for a trailer build later on. Once I do start it, I will be sure to post a build thread so I can continue getting the good feedback like I have so far on this forum. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it.

The 14' jet sprint boat I recently bought has a custom trailer with a drop axle. I bet it's good for 2000-2500 lbs and has 5 lug hubs/wheels. You could probably convert to a drop axle if needed or maybe just get new hubs with 5 lugs which will give you a better options for tires and wheels to handle the load. Here's a picture of the custom trailer with the drop axle, it has some decent wheels/tires as well.

Attachments

• 00606_9mxfIljL1XS_600x450.jpg
    00606_9mxfIljL1XS_600x450.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 716
I like the look of that trailer. Would you mind taking a closer photo of the axle setup and suspension if you get the time?

I'll see if I can get a good picture after work. It looks like the drop axle is one I found from Pacwesttrailers.com, I know the boat and trailer came from out in ID then OR.

https://pacwesttrailers.com/catalog/axles/3500lb-trailer-axle-beams.php

It looks like a typical trailer frame with some crossmembers u-bolted to it and the leaf springs bolted to the crossmembers and axle. The upper bracket is for mounting the fenders and is a bit of overkill.

Attachments

• trailer5.jpg
    trailer5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 804
  • trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 804
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 804
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 804
  • trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 804
Thanks for those pictures, that helps out a lot. It might be a little over kill as you said but its solid and sturdy and dont look like its going anywhere. I have never thought about changing tire size since with the height of the boat on the trailer, the smaller tires help out a lot when launching in the shallow and muddy river launches. But If I can copy the design like your trailer, then I can up the tire size but keep my ground clearance. Thanks again.

Yeah, the drop axle can get you down quite a bit lower even with bigger tires. This trailer hauled the boat across the country from OR to NJ back in Feb so I think it's pretty solid. When researching the drop axles out there, check the spindle dimensions closely to see what hubs fit and then which hubs (4, 5 or 6 lug) will give you the best wheel/tire options. The 5 lug seems to have a better selection available for wheels/tires.

Thats what I was thinking as well. Thanks again for all of your help and input.

Thats the way threads should go in my opinion. I know that my original idea was not needed but its unique and Id like to try it. I will still be looking for a second trailer that I can play with while I use my current one. That way, the boat will still be usable while I tinker with the other trailer.

I think a mini tandem would be pretty nice for maneuvering the trailer in reverse.

As far as shallow launches go I have a tilt trailer which helps but have seen trailers with the bunks on a separate frame that hinges at the front and is lowered/lifted by cables in the rear.

Yes, a tilt trailer is the kitty's whiskers for shallow launches. I had a 15 foot Smoker Alaskan with a tilt trailer and we launched it in the Columbia river right off the beach and in lots of lakes with shallow launches.

Latest posts