Cutting or bending aluminum sheet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been cutting aluminium sheet for years safely and very easily with a Makita jigsaw. Because aluminium is so soft I use a their metal cutting blades with the largest teeth. You can cut very tight curves very accurately. Mark the exact cut position with a marker pen and it is easy to keep your cut within this line. The safety factor is that the aluminium swarf is not flying all over the workshop like it would with an abrasive wheel. I have cut sheet aluminium up to 1/4" with my jigsaw very easily. I think you would find the sabre saw a lot harder to control to obtain an accurate cut.

I know your job is done, but wanted to post for any future searchers. I saw a guy do this successfully with his jig or sabre saw. I just hope I remember it when it comes time to work on my project boat!

KRS

I need to cut some 1/16 in alum sheet. I think I will sandwich it between some scrap pl wood & use my sawzall with 18 TPI blade. I'm hoping the wood will keep the sheet from distorting.

Cedar river....that sounds like a great idea.

KRS I agree,...... adding something to even a finished post can help those searching for an answer.

Sometimes I pull up posts made back five or more years ago on Google. the info is still valuable.

thanks richg99

Latest posts