DC Fishing Report from 10/17

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one100grand

Reaction score
Hey Guys, this is the first thread I've started here and I'd like to make sure I keep up with the more seasoned folks and their fishing reports. Please let me know if I've left out details or any glaring oversights, I will strive to improve with every thread posted.

We went out on the Potomac River near Mt Vernon for largemouth as we've been catching a steady stream of them for the past month, but to our surprise we started catching the first Stripers we've seen this year.

I started throwing spinners and was catching a few large yellow perch and largemouth (of course I didn't take any pics because I wasn't planning on chronicling this trip) when the first striper of the season hit. Typically I'll throw the cast net to catch bait & see what they're following and I found that several 2-3" crappie had schooled up and that stripers and catfish were sitting just into the deeper water (16-20'). We caught around 4 pretty good sized rockfish (15-20") as the river was getting dark, so we switched over to live bait we'd caught (Shad & Bluegill) as I've never had any luck at night w/any artificials. Just after dark the poles lit up all 3 at once, since there were only two of us, one of the poles went unmanned and ended up actually getting dragged from the holder and into the water - it's the first time I've ever had that happen. Unfortunately it was catfish that started biting after dark and the stripers all but disappeared. We caught around 20 catfish ranging between 3-8 LBS and the big one on the right I'm holding weighed in at 15 LBS. Now that we've seen the return of the rockfish, it's time to break out the bucktails and rock the river!

Attachments

• 2010 first Striper.jpg
    2010 first Striper.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Catfish 10-17.jpg
    Catfish 10-17.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 255
:WELCOME: one100grand,

Great report, and sorry to hear you lost a rod in the process. I look forward to seeing some striper reports from you.

Brine said:
Great report, and sorry to hear you lost a rod in the process. I look forward to seeing some striper reports from you.

I'd say it was worth losing the rod to have seen the way it was lost - it literally flew off the boat and was flying across the surface like a water skier for about 50 feet before it was lost.

Nice report....keep 'em coming, and :WELCOME:

When you said you lost a rod, it reminded me of my trip last weekend when we found a rod/reel sitting on a rock bed with line still out. It must have fallen out of a boat when the water was at a much higher pool over the summer. I brought it home thinking I might be able to clean it up for my daughter. Too bad it's only a Zebco 33....but still, if it cleans up...BONUS!

=D> Hey man I fish down there all the time, the rocks have been movin through for a few weeks now, best bite seems to be at high tide with the water on its way out. If you want to try some artificial baits get a rat-l-trap (or any lipless crank for that matter), and yoyo it right up against the bridge walls. also do yourself a favor and get a redskins shirt :lol:

slim357 said:
=D> Hey man I fish down there all the time, the rocks have been movin through for a few weeks now, best bite seems to be at high tide with the water on its way out. If you want to try some artificial baits get a rat-l-trap (or any lipless crank for that matter), and yoyo it right up against the bridge walls. also do yourself a favor and get a redskins shirt :lol:

Really? I fish down there 3-4 times a week and Rat-L-Traps/Rattlin Raps are my go-to bait for bigger largemouth down there and this is the first I've seen any Stripers.

As a follow up, we went down to Leesylvania State Park on Wednesday afternoon to fish under the trestle as that's where I've had my best luck for rockfish - we caught exactly 0 stripers, but did well with a couple of good sized largemouth (2-3 LBS) and more decent catfish - the biggest I caught on Wednesday was a 25 LBS channel that **** near ripped the rod right out of my hands (I was sure it was a striper by the hit and immediate run). Hopefully the weather holds where it's at as the fish are really hitting well lately.

Attachments

• Largemouth 10-20.jpg
    Largemouth 10-20.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 197
slim357 said:
Nice, lately I havent been goin down to the bridge just fishin whats left of the grass off the front.

I worked the grass up by the boat launch for an hour or two and only got even one strike, maybe next trip we'll bring the boat and work the shoreline.