Deciding on a fish finder?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChitownBasser

Reaction score
So today I was at Bass Pro Shops, Bollingbrook, Illlinois today and I was in the marine section. I stopped to look at fish finders because I am in the market for one. Now on my amazon wish list I have this one (https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-00953-00-echo-200-Fishfinder/dp/B004D7JRA0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2YM8BB0QBA1Q1&colid=197IC0LJKYF6N) listed. After seeing it in person, I was not impressed. The Hummingbird models appeal to me more. Now this will be my first fish finder and I want one under the $200 dollar range.
Question: Is there really a big difference from the entry level fish finders(Hummingbird 150/170) and the mid level ones? GPS is not a need for me. I understand the difference screen sizes, color, ,GPS, number of beams determines price. But is there a difference in general?

single beams don't pick up bottom fish well if theres a lot of bottom structure or grass/mud and i found with my 150 it isn't great above 3 feet to the surface or high speeds which isn't good if you're running a river and watching your depth.get the dual if you can afford. i know i am very soon.the cheap ones are good for water temp and depth(as long as you're not going too fast) and mid level fish but they don't pick up the thermocline.

What model hummer did you get Jonah?
The CFO gave me the go ahead to get a fishfinder/plotter.
I've been looking at the Hum 798Ci HD Si.
I was at a boat show yesterday and a vendor had the ci Si version (not HD)
It was $300 cheaper than the HD version.

MY question is it worth the more money for the HD?

thanks

I have the 798Ci SI (without HD). My understanding is that HD models have ethernet that allows you to share data between 2 humminbird units (like gps waypoints and such) and that is the only difference. Not worth an extra $300 if you ask me. I think that they purposely chose "HD" because most people would assume it meant High Definition. But you can look up the specs and see that both HD and non-HD units have the same resolution.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
I have the 798Ci SI (without HD). My understanding is that HD models have ethernet that allows you to share data between 2 humminbird units (like gps waypoints and such) and that is the only difference. Not worth an extra $300 if you ask me. I think that they purposely chose "HD" because most people would assume it meant High Definition. But you can look up the specs and see that both HD and non-HD units have the same resolution.

Thanks River, you just helped me make the decision to pull the trigger on a sidescan fishfinder.
I checked the difference in the units and agreed with your assessment.
So I purchased the same unit HB 798ci SI (not HD).
Hoping the sidescan helps to pickout cover as I don't know many of the lakes up here in Northern Ohio very well yet.

100% true, both have the same amount of pixels and resolution.

WaterbedWarrior said:

Thanks River, you just helped me make the decision to pull the trigger on a sidescan fishfinder.
I checked the difference in the units and agreed with your assessment.
So I purchased the same unit HB 798ci SI (not HD).
Hoping the sidescan helps to pickout cover as I don't know many of the lakes up here in Northern Ohio very well yet.

remember with SI you will get the best readings and clarity when your under about 6-7mph. and chop from waves will affect the picture and when you are using the SI you wan to stay on a straight path and not turn for best results.

Not necessarily...the 500 units are stand alone units...no sharing. Mine is a 597ci HD di ....