Deck Bracing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishing Texas

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1236 Jon boat and I would like to add a low deck. I see folks screwing 2x2s to the ribs. My boat is old and only has 3 ribs and they are not very strategically placed. What do you think about attaching the bracing directly to the floor of the boat? I can use automobile epoxy. It is the stuff used to glue body panels back on. It will hold with no problems.

What I would do is attach the braces directly to the flooring itself sandwiching the boat floor ribs. Gravity would hold it down and the boats bracing will keep it from sliding.

Here is a link for pictures of my boat. https://s849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/brb1492/ I just wonder if I will stress the bottom of the boat too much by adding pressure directly to the floor. I really would like ya'lls advice.

attach a piece of angle or tubular aluminum too the bottom of your seats with the top of it at the same height as the ribs. Then you can run your decking on top of your two ribs and it will also rest on top of the angle attached to the seats.

For the decking in front of the middle seat you will have to come up with something more creative because of the curve in the boat floor.

Personally, if I had that boat, I would be adding in more ribs. I have had a couple jons built like that (likely by the same mfg.) and they truly aren't built well enough to be safe to deck.

Latest posts