Best way to brace middle of a shallow V hull 14ft-

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any pics to help? I am looking at jon boat type braces, a flat plat riveted to the side and anchored to?

Took out the 3 front seats, installed small deck to hold the front, rear still has a seat to brace. I have to reinforce the middle.

In myhead the best is some square Alum notched and welded to a floor rib, angled to the side with a rivited gusset plat....something close, maybe a pic?

Thanks-too old to jump 3 seats fishing alone.

What I'm understanding is you want to add back support where you removed the middle seat. One option would be to reinstall seat boxes with a walk-thru cut out in the middle. Tie the seat boxes to the side of the hull and the floor. This would be easier if your old seat was boxed in. The pic below gives the basic concept. Another option is to install narrow storage boxes along the gunnel between your front and rear decking. Again, they would be tied to the hull side and floor.

seat.png

I like LDubs idea, as you do need to bring something back in to strengthen the middle of the boat so it doesn’t ‘oil can’ and bend or collapse on you.

FWIW I have also observed such damage even on fiberglass hulls, usually about 1/3 of the way back from the bow, if the middle of the boat was not designed to be strong enough to handle all the stress.

I like LDubs idea, as you do need to bring something back in to strengthen the middle of the boat so it doesn’t ‘oil can’ and bend or collapse on you.

FWIW I have also observed such damage even on fiberglass hulls, usually about 1/3 of the way back from the bow, if the middle of the boat was not designed to be strong enough to handle all the stress.
yes,exatly. BUT I wanted it open as possible,and light. I was going to put rod holders on the brackets.

Almost every boat that's old I see, the brackets that bolt to the seat/wall are rarely all there and connected. How much of an issue IDK, but I was thinking of maybe stepping up to a 30hp too,... :)

I'll snap a pic.

Latest posts