Depth Finders, GPS, and electronics...Oh My!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Ok, What is your guys outlook on Depthfinders and gps units? I NEED a depthfinder to mount at my dash, as it hasn't got anything there right now and i'd like to be able to view the depth without stopping and putting down the trolling motor everytime. I've got a Eagle 320 on the bow with the transducer under the trolling motor, but can't decide what I wanna do on the dash. I am also kinda wanting a gps to help with navigating and such, especially on some of the lakes or sections i'm not that familiar with. But I am just having a hard time making myself spends $500+ dollars at once on one of those combos.

I have kinda pondered on getting a handheld gps unit(with a mount), and just maybe another Eagle 320 for the dash, but not sure. It would kinda be nice to have a nice big view of a gps when I need it. What are your guys view? Just looking for some opinions and/or suggestions. :?

I use a humminbird 525 sonar that I got with the speed and temp sensor for $160 at cabelas, and a handheld Lowrance H2O C with a ram mount that I got on sale locally for $250 plus $30 for the mount. All together thats $440 plus some time to mount it plus $70 for the map card of my area. The sonar stays in the boat, but I can take the handheld with in the truck, hunting, and anything else you need gps for (geocaching if you do that).

I like the ability to use the GPS for multiple things, not just in the boat.

Hope that helps

How do the speed sensors work exactly? Thats a big thing i'm wanting because my speedo hole is clogged, and so i've heard the yamaha's are notorious for getting(and staying) clogged up....so the speedo in my dash doesn't work. Do they display the speed on your Depth finder, or what? If I could get something like that, I would just put the GPS on hold and just get a descent depthfinder for my dash with the speed sensor. :-k

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0043162018989a&navCount=1&podId=0043162&parentId=cat602011&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602025-cat602011&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602011&hasJS=true

Someone buy one of these, I want to know if they like it :mrgreen:

ST

SlimeTime said:
https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0043162018989a&navCount=1&podId=0043162&parentId=cat602011&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602025-cat602011&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602011&hasJS=true

Someone buy one of these, I want to know if they like it :mrgreen:

ST
My buddy has this unit and loves it.
he also has the side image unit and like that also. the transducer is big and expensive from what he tells me.

Bubba,
the prices on gps units are coming down all the time you can get a garmin for your truck new for under $140 if you look
I would suggest getting the lowrance M68C S/Map Compact Fishfinder
i did a quick search and you can get this unit complete for $380 it is a color unit it should give you all you need.
I am a big lowrance fan and have both a 332c and a lcx27c on my triton

Wayne

If your thinking about a GPS,I wouldn't bother with a boat speedo,the GPS probably would give you a more accurate speed.
this post here might be an option...https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4840&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Havn't looked into it to see if it's possible,yet.

Zum said:
If your thinking about a GPS,I wouldn't bother with a boat speedo,the GPS probably would give you a more accurate speed.
this post here might be an option...https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4840&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Havn't looked into it to see if it's possible,yet.

Well the main is that i'm not gonna be able to afford a sonar/gps combo anytime soon, were-as I could get another Fishmark 320 for under $200 bucks. GPS isn't neccesarily a big thing on my mind right now. Which is why i'm thinking of just a regular sonar w/ speed sensor and wait on the GPS til I can afford a good GPS(which won't really be anytime soon).

If you just want GPS to mark your honey-holes, just buy a $100 hand held, that's what I've got. Granted it's limited to what it'll do. If you fish after dark, run the lake early with your FF, locate some prospective spots, mark them on your GPS, and fish them throughout the night.

ST

Latest posts