Dgram36's 1852 Lowe Olympic Duck Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgram36

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a new member to the site and have browsed around the last few weeks at your guys' builds. Very impressed with everyone's work and there's some great information here. Well I just got my first boat and its a fix 'er upper. Got an 1856 riveted lowe semi v jon. Go big or go home, right? Title says its a 52 but thats a typo. Well I knew it needed some work but when I really tore into the boat, I realized that it needed more. And then I figured since I have it all torn apart I might as well really make it mine and modify it how I want it. Here's what I started out with
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365544977.973021.jpg

The boat came with a side console, complete steering assembly/throttle, bilge pump, nav lights, battery, two 6 gallon gas tanks, spotlight, etc. Everything worked but definitely needed some TLC. The boat also came with a clean 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke motor with electric start/power tilt/trim. So first thing first I built a motor stand and removed that bad boy, as well as all the controls. That really sucked to carry by myself!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365545440.688015.jpg

Next thing was to remove all of the wood. And naturally that's when I started finding all the problems. I knew that the boat needed some transom repairs but it became a little more than expected when I removed the motor and the wood that was bolted on the back. Oh well, most of us have been in that boat at one time or another. Lol. Here's some pics if the corrosion on the transom.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365545764.320432.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365545778.817731.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365545791.764107.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365545804.163992.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365545818.371211.jpg

So that was discouraging but I'm committed to make this boat an awesome duck killing machine so I pressed on with tearing all the plywood and additional crap out of the boat. Now she looks like this...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365546102.419709.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365546117.969459.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365546130.753316.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365546151.656360.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365546182.506845.jpg

Looks like a job! Yup, I am not a fan of dissimilar metals because of the corroded holes they leave behind. Aluminum fasteners, corrosionX and nylon bushings are your friend if you use stainless fasteners on aluminum.
I like the boat, keep it up!

So my plan of attack is as follows. First, I'm gonna take the suggestions of many other threads I have read and work on the trailer first. The trailer could use some TLC. It has some rust so I will remove the parts and put a grinder on it to remove as much rust as I can. Then ill replace all the hardware and paint it black with rustoleum. Ill replace the rollers, recarpet the bunks, replace the coupler and winch strap, rewire and replace the lights as well as add a spare tire as it did not come with one.
Once the trailer is squared away I will pull out the side console and fill the hull with water and check for leaks. After all the leaks were identified, I'll remove the transom bracket and tray in the back. I want to have the transom welded as I know this is the best way to ensure that the job is done properly. I have a certified welder that just welds on the side coming over this weekend to give me an estimate. Depending on the price, I may have to find some other alternatives. I've considered just added a piece of aluminum to the outside of the entire transom and riveting it in place with some 5200 underneath it, as a cost effective alternative. Once I get this taken care of ill replace the transom wood with some non treated wood covered in resin. I think the transom is a 2x6 supported by a bracket. Not sure what type of wood I should go with and that brings me to my first question!

smackdaddy53 said:
Looks like a job! Yup, I am not a fan of dissimilar metals because of the corroded holes they leave behind. Aluminum fasteners, corrosionX and nylon bushings are your friend if you use stainless fasteners on aluminum.
I like the boat, keep it up!
Thanks for the encouragement! It is gonna be one hell of a job but I think that with some sweat, blood and tears I can turn this boat into something special by opening day.

So after the transom is squared away I will start modding to fit my needs. I plan removing the middle bench. I realize that this will have some structural consequences. I'm planning on having a rib welded in where the seat would have been. That's not going to replace the seat 100% but it will help. The bench has a livewell in it that drains through the bottom of the hull. I think this is a horrible idea, last thing I need is to crack this plastic in January and find myself up $h!t$ half frozen over creek. So I will have that patched as well. The bottom o the hull will get some glovitt for extra protection. I plan on using aluminum diamond plate as the floor. Ill cover that with a khaki bedliner, perhaps grizzly grip or the like. Ill also create a 1/2 inch plywood deck in the front that will hinge open from the top for decoy storage. That will extend from the bow to the first seat. Ill also open up the top of the first seat and create a gun box with a hinged top. Finally the boat will be painted in a homemade camo. I have seen some excellent examples of this on this site and others, and I'm excited to try it. It's not gonna be a pretty fishing boat like some of the great builds I've seen on here, it's gonna be a hard hunting boat! Of course later on down the road I will install a scissor blind with fast grass but that's months away. I'm open to any suggestions and please if you see me screwing something up let me know!!!

Awesome rig! I love the other duck builds. As to the transom, I would use some combination of plywood rather than a 2x6. I would use cdx or bcx exterior ply, sealed with spar varnish. thats exactly what i did anyway! less chance that you will have cracking or warping than with a 2x6.

I will be following this really close, hopefully we get done around the same time!

Pweisbrod said:
Awesome rig! I love the other duck builds. As to the transom, I would use some combination of plywood rather than a 2x6. I would use cdx or bcx exterior ply, sealed with spar varnish. thats exactly what i did anyway! less chance that you will have cracking or warping than with a 2x6.

I will be following this really close, hopefully we get done around the same time!

Thanks! Yeah I've been dying to have my own duck rig. I hunted out of a canoe last year, soooo done with that. I've seen that people have used ply wood glued together and then sealed in other builds around the site. That sounds like a good plan, thanks for the advice!

No problem. Canoes are good for backwater spots, this rig will be good for whatever you can throw at it!

Very nice platform, I have motor envy, hold on to that 3 cylinder 40........a true work horse, just take care of the lower unit and that thing will run forever. I look forward to your duck build.

bigwave said:
Very nice platform, I have motor envy, hold on to that 3 cylinder 40........a true work horse, just take care of the lower unit and that thing will run forever. I look forward to your duck build.

Thanks! Yeah the PO said the motor was a beast and it has ran good for me so far. Ill be sure to have someone give the engine a once over before the season starts.

+1. Those 3-cylinder 40hp Yamis are worth their weight in gold down here in FL, especially if it's a short shaft, tiller model. Can't wait to see how the boat turns out.

kfa4303 said:
+1. Those 3-cylinder 40hp Yamis are worth their weight in gold down here in FL, especially if it's a short shaft, tiller model. Can't wait to see how the boat turns out.

I personally prefer the tiller models myself. I considered doing a conversion on it, but they just want too much money for it ($250). It really opens up some room in the boat though. Maybe something I have to put it on my watch list on eBay...

Flat Bottom said:
Awesome rig man, love the size, lots of potential. Cant wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks man, sure hope I don't let you boys down!

You might let them down but you won't let me down! LOL slap some paint on Eric and fix the transom! Good enough to kill ducks! What kind of blind will you be building? Or will you at all?

Pweisbrod said:
You might let them down but you won't let me down! LOL slap some paint on Eric and fix the transom! Good enough to kill ducks! What kind of blind will you be building? Or will you at all?

That's what I'm saying, it's not gonna be a pretty one, but it will kill ducks. I'm gonna install a pop up scissor blind with fast grass. I like the hard sided blinds but they don't travel as well and unfortunately I will be hauling this almost an hour back and forth to the coast during duck season.

Flat Bottom said:
dgram36 said:
Flat Bottom said:
Awesome rig man, love the size, lots of potential. Cant wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks man, sure hope I don't let you boys down!

you won't!, my build aint nothing special, some of these guys make me feel like a simpleton!

I know there's some amazing work on here! I think what's going to be a challenge is my budget. I don't want to break the bank in this thing and I've already kind of splurged on the diamond plate floors.

Latest posts